CBR1100XX.org Forum

Tire Balance?

MileHi

OK, I admit that I'm anal about a lot of things... After finally getting the HF tire changer adjusted and figured out I was so VERY tickled with myself when the old fron tire came off easily and the new Pilot Road went on just as easily... AND I even got the rotation marks right!

But, I've spent close to an hour working on the balance. It appears to be damn near perfectly balanced w/o any weights. The pessimist in me says that this isn't right, but...

What's to collective wisdom? Is it good?

Whatcha think?

It is possible to balanced without weights, but not very common.

I had one tire that was within 1/4oz without weights, but another that took almost 3.

If it seems to be right without weight, then go with it. I'd try to take it off the balancer, then re-check it. If it's good twice, then run it.

Are you static ballancing?

I've found that when I'm about to remove an old tire and I check the ballance it's noticeably off from tire wear, yet I didn't feel it while riding.

If you spin it 1/4 turn, stop it and then try to lightly push it from there in either direction and repeat this evenly in 4 spots on the rim then it's fine.

Did you find the heavy spot on the rim first?

If you really want to check, put a 1/4 ounce weight on anywhere and see if it drops to the bottom. Then move it 1/2 way around and see if it drops again.

Are you static ballancing?

I've found that when I'm about to remove an old tire and I check the ballance it's noticeably off from tire wear, yet I didn't feel it while riding.

If you spin it 1/4 turn, stop it and then try to lightly push it from there in either direction and repeat this evenly in 4 spots on the rim then it's fine.

Did you find the heavy spot on the rim first?

If you really want to check, put a 1/4 ounce weight on anywhere and see if it drops to the bottom. Then move it 1/2 way around and see if it drops again.

Yeah, static balancing them... I did find the rim's heavy spot prior to mounting the new tire. Without the tire, the rim consistantly went to the same heavy spot. Good idea about adding the weigh and seeing if it drops to the bottom. Thanks guys...

BTW, the NAPA Rubberglyde really helps with the unmounting and mounting of the tires.

Santa brought me a Harbor Freight changer and MC adapter as well. Where did you place the adapter fingers on the rim? Did they scratch it up? Any pictures?

Ok... Ok... Click on my gallery... Pics of the changer and my balancer... Don't laugh too hard when you see the balancer! It works at least. If you're not careful, the changer will scratch the rims. Mine were already scratched from the last mounts done by a friend, so I wasn't too worried about them. The fingers face inward, towards the center of the wheel and grab onto the rim. I supposed that soapy water would work just as well, but that rubber lube (NAPA Rubberglyde) really makes mounting the tires painless.

Gonna get out and finish the rear tire and install my new (to me) Penske shock.

Edited after mounting the rear tire...

Well, I guess the front was well balanced after all. The rear on the other hand has definite heavy spot. That gives me a bit more confidence in the balancer! :grin:

Thanks for the changer and lube info and pictures. The way the MC adapter came assembled in the box, it looked like they intended for the fingers to reach out toward the outside of the rim, which would scar them up for sure, if there was enough lip to bite on (I don't think there is). The instructions that came with it were a waste of ink, IMHO.

My rear OEM Dunlop 205 is down to the warning bars, so it won't be long.

A welder/fabricator brother-in-law is working on a balancer rig for me. :grin:

Link to the changer:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Disp...temnumber=42927

I give the fingers new pieces of duct tape every tire change.

I mounted mine on a 4X6 piece of plywood so I could stand on it for leverage.

I'll have to buy some Rubberglyde.

On your balancer, does it give enough room for the axle to roll? I just put the axle on 2 jackstands and count on the wheel bearings for turning, not the best setup. I just have to take more time.

I give the fingers new pieces of duct tape every tire change.

I mounted mine on a 4X6 piece of plywood so I could stand on it for leverage.

I'll have to buy some Rubberglyde.

On your balancer, does it give enough room for the axle to roll? I just put the axle on 2 jackstands and count on the wheel bearings for turning, not the best setup. I just have to take more time.

Good idea Pete... I'll have to remember that the next tire change. My changer is mounted on big honkin' piece of 3/4" plywood.

Here is what I do, and yes perfect balance is normal on the front

http://www.zx-12r.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php...hlight=pit+bull

Way kewl idea girthy!!! Looks like a good excuse to buy some of the bobbin supports for the Pitbull.

Anyhow, I got the Penske on, cleaned up the swingarm area and got the rear tire back on... Tomorrow I'll adjust tyhe chain, put the hugger back on and button everything back up. Hmmm, I think I'll grab a cold one! :cool: