CBR1100XX.org Forum

Higher end windscreens.

Red J

Are the MRA, Puig, Givi, etc. windscreens of better quality than the ZG, LP Speedscreen, etc. which are substantially cheaper?

I understand that the Magical Racing and TSR screens are very nice, but for the cost, they damn well should be. My dealer carries no windscreens, the only aftermarket screens I've seen are on used bikes. I've only seen the LP and ZG screens.

I've been interested in the MRA specifically, but I wonder if the quality is in line with the difference in price.

J.

I can tell you the quality on the Givi is head and shoulders above the LP, those are the only two I've personally owned (the LP for about two days, the Givi for the last three years)

The LP was thin, flimsey, and fit poorly- I had to enlarge two of the mounting holes to get it to mount straight, peice of crap, IMO.

The Givi is about twice as thick, indexed around the edge where it meets the fairing just like the OEM one. Matter of fact, I'd say build quality and fit of the Givi is right up there with the stocker.

Sorry, no direct experience with MRA.

What are you looking for, Jeremy?

I replaced my stock '00 with the '01 version after trying a few different aftermarket ones.

ZG, LP, Givi and Powerbronze. All were inferior quality to stock except for the Givi. I just didn't like the look of the Givi (too tall, IMO)

The '01 - up screen is about 1" taller than the previous version, and fits like factory. :)

I haven't tried any of the higher end screens but out of the four aftermarket ones I've used the stock one is still my favourite.

The taller screens can cause some buffeting and also take some of the wind off your upper body which in turn puts more weight on your wrists.

Tim,

Thanks for that. I had originally thought I would try a double bubble style screen, and MRA makes the touring, stock and DB style. I've heard good things about the quality, but no comparisons to stock Honda screens.

Chris,

I have heard the comments about the '01 screen, and I'd like to try one for myself. My stock screen, I like, but I want to try some others to see if I like them better.

Lars,

I like the way the stock screen hits me below 100, a nice steady push on my chest if I extend my arms, and no buffeting at any position. The only thing I do not like about it is when I exceed 100, I start to get a little buffeting on the helmet. May be my helmet, but I could do with less wind pressure on my head.

---

I also want to try a higher screen for winter, where I'm getting considerable wind on my shoulders. I don't stay out for long in the winter, most times just to get to work and back, a 40 min ride. Any longer than that, I start to get cold on the feet and knees, and I'm too much of a puss to ride for that long in the 20s.

For the higher screen, I'll order a Givi. For the DB, I'll try the MRA. If my stocker gets too ratty, I'll get an '01 screen.

Much thanks, all. If anyone subsequently has experience with the MRA, post here or PM me about it.

:)

J.

The only thing I do not like about it is when I exceed 100, I start to get a little buffeting on the helmet. May be my helmet, but I could do with less wind pressure on my head.

That's why I went with the '01, you can tuck behind it better, and there's less buffeting all around, IMO.

The Givi will most likely result in more turbulence around you head while fully upright, I guess I should have mentioned that. It's about 3" taller than the '97-'00 stock screen, with a corresponding rise in turbulence.

I only use it on cold weather rides, when I tend to hunker down a bit, anyway. It does keep the wind off your chest nicely, and you can get completely behind it if you tuck in a bit- much warmer that the earlier stock screen, which is what I use most of the year.

The Givi will most likely result in more turbulence around you head while fully upright, I guess I should have mentioned that. It's about 3" taller than the '97-'00 stock screen, with a corresponding rise in turbulence.

I only use it on cold weather rides, when I tend to hunker down a bit, anyway. It does keep the wind off your chest nicely, and you can get completely behind it if you tuck in a bit- much warmer that the earlier stock screen, which is what I use most of the year.

Not an issue for me, I don't go much faster than 100 when it's 20 out. I can stand the blast for a few minutes, I just don't want to be hanging out like that all day.

edit - I get a clear airstream with the stock screen, I don't get much buffet when tucked. I see what you are saying now, that I'm likely to have more buffet with the Givi. I guess I'll try it for myself.

I'm now wondering if the 01 screen is the best thing out there, for the compromises. I like the smooth flow of my stock screen, just want a tad bit more protection. As it is, with my tankbag, I can't tuck out of the wind completely, and when it's cold out, that can be inconvenient.

Check out the Laminar Touring LIP, it mounts on oem screen and designed to be removable, i would guess about 5 minutes assuming u can find the tools and swiling a beer :drinkbeer: . High quality and very solid. Very clean air and excellent wind protection. Really does the job in cold weather (i live in frigging MN), far superior to ZG-ST screen which i did many miles on. Looks fugly, but a great design of form following function. Major thumbs up imho.

www.laminarlip.com

http://www.laminarlip.com/cbr1100xxtour1.jpg (my bad girl :boobies: )

Bruce,

You said that the Laminar on the stock windshield is far superior to the ZG ST screen...of which I have. Can the Laminar be put on the ZG screen or does the stock windshield need to go back on? Any additional comments on the Laminar such as buffeting and rain protection?

Thanks,

:grin:

You said that the Laminar on the stock windshield is far superior to the ZG ST screen...of which I have. Can the Laminar be put on the ZG screen or does the stock windshield need to go back on?

I think the touring LIP would be stretch on the ZG ST for a few reasons.

1. Most importantly, the ZG ST is thinner than OEM and not sure if it would hand the extra wind pressure/leverage the LIP would put on it, esp. at elevated speeds. I thought the ZG ST has less structural strength than OEM, esp. on the top edge, my would shake/flutter at normal speeds.

2. The shape of the ZG ST is somewhat different so not sure how will it would fit, but think u would be ok. The touring LIP is specifically designed for XX, but enough flex, top windscreen bolts and the double sided velcro dots applied should get it on firmly.

You could try it on ZG ST and see how it goes, if no go, get a '01 or higher OEM screen which u can usually get cheap.

Any additional comments on the Laminar such as buffeting and rain protection?

I never thought the ZG ST added much for protection fyi. Buffeting is virtually non-existent on LIP, I would put it between OEM (cleanest) and ZG ST(very clean), they are all very close. I slightly noticed difference at 1st after installing on OEM, but shortly back to same old same old. I have Oxford Humpback tankbag (tall) and oem bars in oem position for reference.

It creates a very slight backdraft upper chest above tankbag, earphone wiring to 8500 velcroed to tankbag will actually get drawn forward (didn't happen b4). This probably explains the difference in feeling, again u get used to it very quickly.

Definitely increase in vertical wind protection, main wind blast hits upper face shield/helmet vs OEM main wind blast just below chin bar causing annoying helmet lift at elevated speeds, helmet lift completely eliminated with LIP. Aout a 33% reduction in bug splats, but a slight tuck reduces splatting a lot more. Horizontal wind protection about the same, hits outside of arms.

Most signicant gain is cold weather riding, huge improvement, gets main wind blast off chest/neck area. Huge factor trying to stay warm.

Just slightly warmer in hot weather at slow speeds, heat off frame/engine main contributer to that problem.

Rain protection minimal improvement, probably due more to RF900 doing so poorly in rain, cripes it runs down both the outside and inside of shield, piss poor sealing. I was hoping for better results in this arena.

Would definitely do the touring over the standard LIP. More protection plus it has a much better mounting. Standard has just 4 velcro dots, Touring has 4 velcro dots plus uses top windscreen bolts.

Very good product, ****1/2

I use the Givi only in the wintertime and only with Saeng Edging to help with the turbulence and to get the windblast into my helmet instead of my neck.

Dirt simple. You'll have to transfer the lower well nuts (little rubber thingies, you'll know 'em when you see 'em) to the new screen.

If you're going to be switching back and forth at all, I'd buy new wellnuts for the second screen, they're pretty cheap.

And don't use Loc-tite :wink: