CBR1100XX.org Forum

Running without cans

K9XX

So I took the Migs off to mount the new undertail. The midpipes are fairly long, since they are high mounts. The end stops right at the passenger footpegs.

I fired it up *just to hear it* and damn I love it!!!!! It sounds like some sort of race engine or something. I only ran it for 10 seconds or so then shut down. I'm thinking the Migs really don't do much more than lower the decibels a bit, I can't see how they would offer any backpressure.

Is it bad to say, go for a quick ride like this?? I know there is a guy, I think in Chicago that runs straight exhaust from the headers. I want to go for a ride like this, but don't want to fry a valve or something.

Not worried about Johnny Law either, I live on the outskirts of the country, so I'll go terrorize the cattle :grin: :grin:

Anybody??? Thanks.

I think you should be okay if you only ride for a little while and stay away from long, wide open throttle runs. If you are lean, that's where the valve issue would rear its ugly head! :shock:

The open header you are talking about does have quite of back pressure. I have welded in a small expansion chamber and several baffles to slow down the velocity a bit. I like the sound quality but the quantity is a bit too much still.

Jeff

Won't hurt, Sean.

Might be a tad leaner than before, but not by much. If it's bad lean, you'll feel the difference.

A buddy of mine installed a Kerker exhaust on his bike (full system) & jet kit. Problem was the guy that installed the jet kit just went by the instructions, and it hesitated bad.

This is where I came in :roll:

I had the carbs on & off several times on what was supposed to be a day of riding, trying to get the needle positions right. After we had success, I showed him how to repack the can should it ever be necessary.

Removed the 3 screws holding the baffle in, and removed the core.

Then I fired it up :twisted:

MY GOD was it fucking loud. :shock: He jumped back when I fired it, and I shut it off pretty damn quick so as to not piss off the neighbors.

I never have fired up the XX with no cans, however. Have to try that some day.

How about doing a fly by with a sound clip, Sean? :razz:

I tired it, didn't get to far :???: I made it about 3 blocks, and turned around. The noise at 6K + RPM is stupid loud. I like loud things, but this was embarassing :oops:

Oh well, had fun anyway, now I can say I did it. Got up into 3rd gear, when I let off, there were a couple loud backfires, enough to spook me into turning for home.

I rode just after dusk tonight, my neighbor was out when I came rolling in the drive. He said when I let off the gas as I pulled into the garage, he saw fire in each pipe :shock: Okay, enough of that, Migs are back on :grin: :grin:

Now everything is so quiet :grin:

You mean no video or sound file? :cry:

Actually my neighbor has a video phone. He took about a 5 second clip of me revving it up in the garage. He said he would email it to me, then I'll post it just for you Chris :wink:

:lol::lol:

I tired it, didn't get to far :???: I made it about 3 blocks, and turned around. The noise at 6K + RPM is stupid loud. I like loud things, but this was embarassing :oops:

Oh well, had fun anyway, now I can say I did it. Got up into 3rd gear, when I let off, there were a couple loud backfires, enough to spook me into turning for home.

I rode just after dusk tonight, my neighbor was out when I came rolling in the drive. He said when I let off the gas as I pulled into the garage, he saw fire in each pipe :shock: Okay, enough of that, Migs are back on :grin: :grin:

Now everything is so quiet :grin:

Are we talking Hardly loud? :lol::lol:

Funny how much we think alike. I did the same thing with my 'bird when installing the Migs.

The other night I rode the Super Hawk with no cans on it. :shock: Talk about loud. :cool:

Actually my neighbor has a video phone. He took about a 5 second clip of me revving it up in the garage. He said he would email it to me, then I'll post it just for you Chris

Well, where's my video, dammit! :poke:

Don't make me send chickens :nono: