CBR1100XX.org Forum

Secondary Master Cylinder question

severdog

Subject: 99 xx that I'm still rebuilding

Problem: applying the front brake causes the rear caliper to bind. Releasing the left front caliper bolt from the secondary master cylinder pushrod allows the rear tire to spin again.

The manual says: that my secondary master cylinder pushrod length is misadjusted, but offers no procedure on how to adjust the length. I can't see how the normal friction of the pads against the rotor while in motion won't just force that pushrod up into the SMC.....

This is the only mechanical problem that I have left to solve. Any suggestions?

There's a theaded rod with a locknut at the bottom of the secondary master cylinder, ajusting the length of the rod should be easily accomplished using that- keep in mind there's a locknut that may be partially hidden by the rubber boot. Sounds like you may need to shorten it, but that's just a guess.

You're going to need to at least partially dismount the SMC to do this, as the "U" shaped mounting bracket (at the bottom) will need to spin.

Lemme know if you'got any more questions on the secondary master cylinder, it's sitting on my desk in front of me, so I've got a pretty good view :grin:

PS- did you check the pivot bearing mounted lower on the fork? Binding down there might cause what you're describing.

Red-

I've lengthened and shortened the pushrod using this thread and locknut.

The bottom pivot bearing moves freely.

A little more info....the rear appears to bind if I use the brake pedal, not so much the front grip. Releasing the SMC frees the brake up though.

I've finally got this dude moving up and down the driveway at last.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally said fuggit and did an eBay buy for a whole brake system for $125. Hell, the secondary master cylinder alone new was over $200.

I bolted in the new left caliper & secondary master cylinder assembly, attached all the banjo fittings, hit it with the mity-vac bleeder, and my back tire locks no more! FINALLY!

Just need to finish some bodywork and I can get this dude on the street.

Damn, I was hoping you'd figure it out, not that I was any help :sad: .

The whole thing did have me kinda curious, though. Congrats on getting it sorted, either way.

Enjoy your new ride :grin: