CBR1100XX.org Forum

Audiovox CCS-100 Cruise Control Instalation

titoportugal

Hi u all

After a long search for a good cruise control system, I found out the Audiovox CCS-100 Cruise Control.

I reed some report of successful installations on various types of bikes and i decide to take the shot and buy it.

I bought it at Summit Racing http://store.summitracing.com/default.asp?...udiovox&x=0&y=0

I receive it for Xmas (it was the Xmas present I gave to my BB) and since then i didn't had time yet to mount it.

It doesn't seem very difficult.

I found on Internet an article of how to instal it on a FJR http://www.fjr1300.info/howto/audiovox.html

I searched here at the forum and didn't find anything regarding this, so I was wondering if any you guys have ever seen anything like it or if you have it installed in your bikes....

Any way I'm planning on doing it this weekend.

I will take some pics to show to you.

Regards

Actually, I believe he got the fully electric one. That one you listed is vaccuum controlled, and I don't believe a bike pulls enough vaccuum to run the cruise control, which is why he went full electric. I installed cruises for 2 years, and I have to agree with him on the decision to go electric. It costs 2 or 3 times as much, but is a much better and more stable cruise control with less install time and more resistant to weather. Not to mention there are no mechanical parts to fail other than the motor to pull the cable back and forth.

Hi

I hope BigJeff came out with some post regarding this issue.

About the vacuum, I bought separately a vacuum canister to store the vacuum, which I can collect from the throttle body.

They say that the least that is needed is "6 inches of mercury vacuum".

Since I dont know this measure, I search for a converter to psi and i didn't find any (if any of you guys can give me a hand i would appreciate).

I believe if I collect the vacuum out of 3 cylinders I would have enough.

I will surely take some pics.

Regards

I Installed the vacuum one. The Audiovox. The hardest part is stripping the bike down. It works great. Surges a little bit on occasion, mostly slower speeds.

I put the unit in the tail, and the vacuum can along the side by the centerstand grab handle.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi you all

I'm having a hard time trying to install this gadget.

1st Problem - Vacuum Canister

1st problem was to fit the vacuum canister that Summit Racing sold me on the XX...there was no place...the only place I found was the on top of the CDI near the rear stop light...any way the canister was to big.

So I decided to make one of my own in PVC.

I bought everything that was needed, i assembled the parts, drilled the holes for the valves, glued it with silicon glue, left it to dry for 1 and 1/2 day and after all this... in the final test it didn't pass. I pump vacuum in it, put it under water and it made some bobbles - so it wasn't able to keep the vacuum inside.

After this i decided to make a canister out of aluminium. I went to a friend of mine who makes home made exhausts, and made a small exhaust can proper to fit in the tail of the XX.

It passed the test and it can contain the vacuum.

I got the vacuum out of 2 cylinders by using the holes covered by 4 screws in the throttle body, used to synchronise it.

Electrical Part

This was the most easy part. Connecting the wires was very simple.

Nevertheless i have some doubts, that I would appreciate Big Jeff or any other person that had this job done, to clarify to me or tell me how you did it:

- I got the speed signal directly from the speed sensor, and didn’t use the Magnetic Kit provided by then. Is this considered VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor)???

- Tach Source - I got it directly from the CDI wire but its also possible to get it from the coil

2nd Problem - Making it work

After connecting all the wires and programming the Servo Assembly as I think it is correct (at least according to the manual) the problem is putting the Cruise Control to Work.

I triple checked the wire connections, tried every possible and reasonable programming of the servo assembly, tested with more vacuum … and it still doesn't engage.

But the funny thing is that it disengages when I press the brake or clutch.

Really, I don’t know what else to do.

Now after work I'm going to try to use the magnetic kit for speed sensing and this is my last hope.

Big Jeff, or any of you guys, how managed to pull out this job?

Do you still remember the programing of the servo?

Any ideas????

I really need then

Regards

P.S. As soon as i have the job done I will post pics of every steep with a detailed description.

Here's an idea.

Did you get a one way valve for the vacuum can ?

Also, I wired mine straight to one of the coils. I had the wires crossed originally then I switched them around and it worked fine.

I kinda doubt you messed up the servo dip switches. they're pretty simple.

Here's an idea.

Did you get a one way valve for the vacuum can ?

Also, I wired mine straight to one of the coils. I had the wires crossed originally then I switched them around and it worked fine.

I kinda doubt you messed up the servo dip switches. they're pretty simple.

Hi Big Jeff

I used the valve supplied with the kit.

Regarding the coils im going to try it now.

Do you remember your programing?

Were did you got the speed from ?

Thanks in avance for your help

Cheers

• 3 weeks later...

Unfortunately I had to temporarily give up the installation of the cruise control.

I had my bike already fixed from my crash (http://cbr.geckobox.net/forum/viewtopic.ph...7689&highlight=) and I was just taking advantage of the fact the bike was all naked to try to install the cruise control.

After 3 weeks of testing and trying every possible way of putting it to work without success, I finally decided to take everything of, dress my bird, and do testing on other bike.

Also I was tired of riding my Vstar, witch is a good bike for calm weekends rides, but not for "every day going to work and ride 100 km of high way".

Now I will try to put it together once again in a friend of mine's bike and crack my head till it works.

As soon as I get it done I will install it on the bird and take detailed pictures of every step.

Cheers

• 10 months later...

Hey Jeff, hope you're still around.

Just installed this cruise on my bike.

I do not have a vacuum accumulator yet. But as it is right now, it does not seem to be engaging at all.

Two questions:

Where did you tap for vacuum?

Which wire on the coil pack did you tap for the blue wire? One is black with a white stripe, the other is a different color on each coil, so I am thinking the black one is the negative.

Help!

Thanks!

Steve

Yeah got the coil going.

And I have FI but I have the same plumbing, a hose from each TB that all some together before the MAP.

Test drove it, got to 60 and hit set. Stayed at 60. Not 59, not 61, 60mph. Perfect, and don't need the canister either.

Thanks for the reply!

Steve

Yes, no vacuum can.

So far so good. I'll have a better idea when I take the bike to work. But on my little test drive last night with half the bike still on a shelf in the garage it worked perfect. I'm going down now to put the rest of the bike back together and get the final pictures.

Steve

Guest rockmeupto125

Theoretically you'll do okay without the can.

Where you are requiring large throttle openings to maintain speed, your vacuum will drop, and then you'll need the reservoir. If you just use the cruise on the highway, you might do okay, especially here in the east where there's a lot less sustained gradient (hills).

Hey, I thought you rode an XX?

When was the last time you needed a large amount of throttle to do anything on the XX? :)

If all is quiet tonight at work as I suspect it will be, there will be an illustrated tutorial on the cruise posted here by 8:00am.