CBR1100XX.org Forum

ram air grills

voodooxx

i've noticed on a lot of pics of you guys bikes that yall have mesh grills in the ram air intakes. is this factory? looks to me like it is but my '03 doesn't have them. i tried looking for them on ronayers but no luck. if they are factory can someone show me where i can find them. thanks

I would assume hat the 97-98 intake grills create some nasty turbulence and probably slow the airflow quite a bit.

Yes they do.... We had a guy here in Holland who tried it, and at higher speeds the difference was very noticable!

Odd. I haven't noticed anything, yet. I replaced the upper fairing on my 1998 'bird with an upper from a 2002 'bird. Actually tried, (not very hard) to reinstall the screens. The 1999 and newer fairings don't have the tabs to attach them to.

The "mesh" comes with the #9 ....

http://www.ronayers.com/fiche/200_0351/upp.../upper_cowl.cfm

Part Number: 64221-MAT-000

Description: GUIDE

Price: $73.43

As mentionned before, on '97/'98 XX this is a cooling duct for the oil cooler.

The FI bikes have part #'s 37 and 39......

If you like the mesh acents, I'm sure you could find in in a hardware store.

It seems people in UK like that. I've seen it few times, and this guy has them in every opening......

UKBash04-PICT0078.jpg

Cheers,

Toxxic,

You're in the same boat I am... BUT... I just ended up going to Lowes and getting some little brass L-brackets and attaching one side to the rear of where the 2 ports come together and the other side of the L to the bottom of the nose piece so it's at the rear right between the forks, above the fender. I did however use a flat, allen head bolt like is on the bodywork of the bike and the nut side is up inside the fairing. All you see from below is the head of the flat head allen head bolt. Works well and you only notice there's anything not stock if you get down and look up between the fender and upper, and even then, it doesn't look bad.

Mike

Thanks Toxxic,

You should have seen the SCCA Rally car we made 2 years ago... it was BOOTLEG AS HELL in the same fashon... "Hey, we don't have any way to mount this... hey... let's weld an L-bracket to the floor and bolt it to the L-bracket!" There was literally like 40lbs of weld in that car by the time we were done (I literally went through 2, 20lb spools of wire and then some). Specifically where I got the idea was, we mounted the Lexan windows in the car with a bunch of L-brackets.

Mike

kindof, but we passed tech for every race... Actually, the first race of the year, we were really worried because the officials were giving everybody shit about their cars. The looked at the Rampulse ('91 Isuzu Impulse XS) top to bottom, looked at each other, and said "wow, somebody read the rules!"

Mike