CBR1100XX.org Forum

Front brakes and Turn signals

Involute

Just did my first real ride of the year today. I have a few questions I'd like to ask you guys.

1/ When in a corner and applying some front brake does your bike have a tendancy to want to tuck to the right a little? Mine does regardless whether I'm turning left or right. Suspension is all stcok with all that it implies.

2/ My turn signals are acting up a little. Every once in a while they don't work and the light in the dash blinks faster than normal when they don't work. When I rev it up a little they work fine. I assume since my headlight works fine It's not a charging problem. Maybe a short somewhere? A bulb or two acting up?

Any thoughts for suggestions would be appreciated as Cody is only a few weeks away.

Thanks in advance for your posts.

1/ When in a corner and applying some front brake does your bike have a tendancy to want to tuck to the right a little? Mine does regardless whether I'm turning left or right. Suspension is all stcok with all that it implies.

Scot is your rear wheel aligned correctly??? It should NOT pull to either side especially in a corner.

I clipped my running light wire and turn sigs work fine, you prolly have a short somewhere. Have you pulled the mirrors off lately or messed with the turn sigs?

I'll check the wheel alignment tomorrow but I'm pretty sure It's good. Hopefully I'm wrong as it's an easy fix. I only notice the pull when it's leaned over some. It feels fine when stopping normally aside from the damn front end diving.

I have not done anyting at all to my signals since I bought the bike. I'm thinking I'll see if Checker has some bulbs that will work and change them all out. I'll also take a look at the Reg/Rec just to see if there is anything there to be concerned about.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Randy & Joe.

Thanks for the help. I did check the rear wheel alignment and it was off by about 1/8". I adjusted it and as far as I can tell with the limited little ride I just took I think it's better. I'll know for sure when I can get out and do a real ride. I also checked the clearance between the front pads and the disc. I can get a .005" feeler gage in between them but I hear just a little drag when I rotate the wheel. The wheel will rotate fairly freely though. Should I pull off the calipers and clean the hell out of them with Brake Cleaner in case they are a little sticky?

I changed the bulbs and checked the battery. My battery is right at 12.59 volts. When the engine is running I get about 14 volts at around 2700 RPM but only 12.9 ish at 5000 RPM. Is that a concern? I did not check the running voltage at operating temp. Does that make a difference? I looked at the Reg/Rec and looked for signs of overheating as suggested on another site and it looked fine. I'll moniter the turn signals some more.

Thanks again for your help. I'll welcome any other feedback also.

It's a 98 with 14,000 miles. 4500 of which I put on.

Brakes:

OK, I pryed the front calipers out and brought them back in with the lever. Everything seems smooth and fluid. I did it 3 times each side. I just need to get the bike out for a bit and see if the wheel alignment was causing it and also see if the rear brake only will cause the same thing. I checked the Stem Bearing adjustment and they are just fine.

Electrical:

I'll also see if I can talk Rob (XXMAN) in to letting me put a meter on his bike to see if his does the same thing. He also has a 98. If his is putting out higher voltage than mine at 5000 RPM maybe he'll let me put his Reg/Rec on my bike for a minute to see if it brings mine up. I can't see that that would pose any danger to his Reg/Rec.

Joe, I did as you suggested on the brakes. I'm pretty sure they where sticking some. I notice that the lever pull is stiffer now and the pulling is gone. The lever was a little spongy prior to that and I didn't realize it. Is spraying the hell out of the calipers with Brake Cleaner a bad idea on a bike in order to help avoid further sticking problems?

As far as the electrical thing goes I checked the output again after riding the bike for a bit. At idle it's still about 12.6 and at 5k it's about 13.3 volts with no spike at 2500 RPM. Thats without the high beam on. Rob's (XXMAN) bike puts out about 13.6 volts at idle and 14.3 at 5000 RPM. I'm having my battery checked just for the hell of it right now and will do a full diagnosis per the service manual on the Reg/Rec tonight with a friend who is much more versed with electrical crap than I. Do you think that the testing values in the manual for 99 and up will be much different than for a 98 since the newer ones have been beefed up some? Or is that irrelevant until the system is put under more stress with accessories?

I'll see if he minds. He barely knows me. Hey Rob, if you're reading this, would you mind if I put your Reg. on my bike for a minute? It would only take me about 1/2 hour to do the whole thing in your driveway. I'll give you a call later.