CBR1100XX.org Forum

After market shock installation

pug

After many attempts and bad luck, today i managed to install my new shock. As you can see this is a WP unit with remote compression adjustment barrel as well as a remote preload adjuster.

The installation of the 2 barrels may look ok but it is not.

The compression bottle is attached with re-usable heavy duty tie wraps (taken from the roof pump of a Pug 307cc) to the grab handle that is located underneath the LHS of the cowl (who uses this handle anyway?).

WP is giving two (universal not specific to application) rubber bases to put between the barrel and the bike (you can see them in the photo).

The problem is that there is a lot of interference between the comp. barrel and the cowl (via the rubbers and the tie wraps) and I am afraid that in the mid term i will crack my (new) cowl.

Do you have any suggestions regarding the installation?

Photos also are welcome.

P.S.: K&N + Termignoni's slipons (open) + PC3 USB with custom map =

146 RW Hp from a very conservative dyno

bbirdside1.jpg

Guest rockmeupto125

You should be able to locate the bottle inside the cowl against the subframe rail. It appears similar in size to the Ohlins, and that's where mine is.

Assuming your regulator/rectifier is on the right side, you could try this-

36611080.jpg

The one drawback is you have to remove the seat to ajust compression damping, but it's out of the elements and no threat to the bodywork.

If your R/R is where the shock is in my pic, there are other's who have pics of a similar right side mounting.

PS- Better, Chris? :grin:

Yes my regulator is on the right (my bird is 03 Euro model),

and yes I don't want to take the seat off in order to adjust the compression damping.

Nonetheless, efxaristo (thanks) guys for your help

Mounting looks cleaner than before, Tim, but mine still looks better :grin:

It sucks that the reservoir has to be mounted that way, cause when it's mounted on the other side, you can reach up through the opening to adjust compression.

FWIW, you can rotate the reservoir on the hose, if you lightly loosen the bolt. Enough to move the hose, but not enough to loose any fluid or pressure. The seal is a double lip design, and I moved mine a few times before I was satisfied in it's mounting.

Glad to see you chose for a Dutch quality product!

I know someone in the Dutch BOC who has the same setup.

If you check on our site: http://forum.superblackbird.info/

You can contact him for some info. Send him a PM, his name is MarcelCBRXX. His bike was installed by the WP-factory technicians, and set up as a test bike. He made pictures: http://members.lycos.nl/marcelcbrxx/wp_suspension.htm

I hope this gives you the info you need.

I hope this gives you the info you need

Thanks for the info, but you can see from the photos

that, still you have to remove the seat for the compression adjustment.

I am thinking of a mounting bracket, maybe I 'll have news in a couple of weeks.

Due to their importer, WP is number 1 in GR but you can find almost any brand (Ohlins, Hyperpro, etc)

Also there is a new Italian brand (I thinh its called FW) which manufactures shocks as well as cartridge fork INTERNALS.

I will post when i have more details.

I likey those cans!!! Titanium???

Yep titanium and with a 'Super Bass' effect as well (but i have ordered db killers 'cause i set on car alarms 'in a blip of a throttle').

Very well made (close to Akra) and very well fit. There is a story that the guy who owns Akrapovich was partner to Termignoni but they split buisiness and then he started Akrapovich.

Also i can claim that i have one common thing whith 'il dottore' (V. Rossi).

Ha, ha

Che spectacolo