CBR1100XX.org Forum

Cold weather starting issue

XXSIVSPD

Now that cold weather has been in Chi-Town for a while, I'm noticing a new problem on my '00 XX that has otherwise been very good to me.

In my experience, the FI usually temporarily increase rpm (and richens mixture I think) in colder conditions. It is not currently doing that. This is the only symptom I've noticed though. Seems to run fine after warm-up. FI light goes off prior to start-up and stays off.

I'm not as mechanically inclined as I'd like to be, but hate going to the dealer unless it's serious.

Anybody have a similar experience with their FI XX? Any suggestions on this issue would be appreciated.

Guest rockmeupto125

If it runs fine after a minute or so, and is just balky and slow to respond to the throttle at rest immediately after startup, I wouldn't be concerned about it.

Your starter valve is stuck.It has a wax element that suppose to open throttle more when cold during the idle. You really need to have a manual to figure out the right part and then spray moving part with lubricant like WD 40.

Try to whack the throttle open/close few times BEFORE starting the engine,sometimes that helps.

i live in Indy and have starting problems sometimes, i have an emergancy jump start thing that if i hook it up it starts right up, i think i need a new battery or atleast a battery tender.

Hmmm glad you posted about that. My BB doesn't increase RPM at all now on start up. :cry:

So I know the auto choque is not working, but you say spray it with some WD40?

I'll give that a go. If not anyother suggestions? See my dealer for warranty? :razz: