CBR1100XX.org Forum

PC3 Installed, XX no start ...

bhanxx

:banghead: Just installed new PC3/USB on XX and now she won't start :twak: , just turns over w/o a hint of a fire. Checked kill switch and haven't connected Speed Shift yet.

PowerCommander no answer phones on Saturday.

I'm thinking of reconnecting oem harness, but not sure if that proves anything. Damnit, should have started XX and tested b4 swapping in PC3 this morning :roll:

Any suggestions?

Reconnected oem harness, turn key, hear fuel pump whiring, press starter and bingo, fires up instantly.

Reconnect PC3, turn key, no fuel pump, PC3 green light comes on starting in middle, splits going to both rich/lean ends 2 times and ends on on full lean position. Hit starter, no fire. Double checked harness to make sure fully clicked in and negative ground solid, looked good.

I'm getting real good swapping PC3 harness in/out! :hump: :grin:

Next suggestion? I'm lost for ideas. This is a really simple hookup.

Is there any map loaded into it? I have no idea if a PCIII will function with no map, but it's an idea.

You might also try disconnecting that speedshifter, if possible, to eliminate that variable.

Can you get a computer by the bike, or vice-versa, to hook it up Dynojet's software and see what it's trying to do?

Hey Tim u 16" Stud,

My invoice says in response to my RMA:

Qty Shipped: 1

Part Number: 113-410RP

Description: PCIIIUSB,CBR1100XX,NO MAP,RPLC

Unit Price: 0.00

Extension: 0.00

INSTALL MAP 02103609 IN CUSTOM MAPS

I called the DynoJet 800 # just after I received it (still in FedEx box) and TechSupp just said they loaded the same one that my RMA one had. Maybe i ass/u/me too much?

I asked why the old one failed and got no concrete answer (a definite disconnect from helpline vs. r&d debugging my detailed documented syptoms). The one they shipped was a brand new one in full new packaging u would buy off the shelf. I beginning to wonder if DynoJet just said cut the losses, send me a new one and a simple snafu of no map installed due to it being a RMA. After closer review of above invoice i'm starting to think this unintentional snafu happened.

I'm clueless to how those kinky PC3 green lights r suppose to flash, but I do know ABSOULTELY SURE that I heard the fuel pump spooling up w oem harness in place and NO spooling up w PC3 harness in place.

I fully capable of (and well inside my envelope) to f... up a wet dream, but this hookup is so simple I find it hard to believe the installation is the problem ( :roll: boy, i hope i don't regret making that statement) ...

It ships with the zero map installed as that's embedded.

Did you disconnect the battery when installing the pc ?

Be sure it's plugged in all the way, they can be tough sometimes, and make sure it isn't in there backwards...I know that was an issue with older ones.

If you are getting nothing you either have a bad connection, the unit needs resetting, or it is a bad PC.

I think you just hit on something there.

You are using the proper plug on the ECU for hookup, aren't you? If your fuel pump is not priming, then the problem is definitely not the map. It's a defect in the PCIII as long as it's hooked up properly.

No need to disconnect the battery when installing, as long as the key is off during installation.

And how about step 5. from the instructions. I always do something like forgetting simple steps!

5 Attach the ground wire from the

PCIII to the NEGATIVE side of

the battery (Fig. C).

and from the Power Commader FAQ page for a CBR 600 FI

I installed a Power Commander on my Honda CBR600 F4i and it will not run.

A: There are two sets of Gray connectors in the stock harness. You have most likely connected the Power Commander to the wrong set, and if you refer to the pictures in the installation guide, you can determine the correct set.

I fully capable of (and well inside my envelope) to f... up a wet dream, but this hookup is so simple I find it hard to believe the installation is the problem (  boy, i hope i don't regret making that statement) ...

:roll: :pointup: :banghead: Boy I hate it when i f... up a wet dream! And doing a lot of regretting now as i write this!

Well???  

Did you get it started???

Yep! :grin:

Now I suppose I have to explain my galactic stupidity, right? :kicknuts:

Well, would u believe when routing PC3 harness along subframe by the battery and under the tank, it would seem i someway/somehow got the PC3 harness under the tank support plate (for 2 bolts) and when tightening the 2 tank bolts i pinched the PC3 harness tearing the wrapping/shearing the green wire. DOH! The damage was done where not visible until I pulled the PC3/harness getting ready to ship back to DynoJet on another RMA#.

Call 'em again explaining my screwup and told me to splice in wire/solder/tape/rewrap. Which I did, turn key, fuel pump primes, push starter button and da bird instantly fires. Throttle response much crisper, well take for road test tomorrow when it warms up a bit, expecting no problems.

The tech support from DynoJet was top notch with great response time via emails and their 800#. Thanks to both Eric and Kurt.

OK, i'm gonna go sit in the corner for a while and repeat "I'm galactically stupid" a 1000 times.

That is all for now.

Under the tank? Doesn't it plug in in the back of the tail section, same as a PCII?

Looking at the setup on my '01, I can't figure out why the wires would be anywhere near the gas tank (they wouldn't reach, anyway), but perhaps it's just a difference in the years?

Mine is a PC3 USB. Here is link for installation:

http://www.powercommander.com/maps/install...ll/I113-411.pdf

The unit is velcroed in the tail section w harness running up left side of bike (w ground coming out that goes to battery) to under left side of tank where the PC3 USB harness that has a Y with 2 oem connectors that plug into oem harness (after releasing male/female connectors). Really slick setup and a snap to install ( :roll: well, for most anyway).

Never seen a PC2, but sounds like they r quite a bit different!

Yeah, the PCII is way different. Plugs in between the ECU and the harness in the rear of the tailpiece. Two plugs, that's it.

I knew they were different, just not that different. Glad you got it sorted :cool:

Unless they screwed up, your replacement PCIII should have the same as the RTM PCIII. Dynojet put my original map into the replacement device before shipping.

Dumb question... do you have the power lead from the PCIII attached to the battery?