CBR1100XX.org Forum

Read my plugs...

JB4XX

I have my 97 XX tore apart while waiting on my new regulator. I installed new spark plugs, will clean the K&N, changed the oil...What else should I do or check before I put her back together? Can you let me know if these plugs look ok? Apparently they are original plugs from 97 with 20k on them. I did not install iridium plugs because the parts store would have had to order them in and I have all ready had her down for a week waiting for my R/R from Partmonster. I feel like a crack whore on the rag...I need my XX fix! :cycle:

plugs.jpg?mtbrand=AOL_US

stripped.jpg?mtbrand=AOL_US

Josh

Will have to make a beer run before putting her back together...I cant even feel my skinned up knuckles right now :cheers: :drinkbeer: :beer:

Are the plugs in order in that pic?

The tips look really good. No excessive deposits, nice tan color, etc. When reading plugs, make sure you check them after a nice, hot run. Never check them if you've had the bike running for 10 minutes, moving it around the garage. All plugs will be black after that.

They do look like they've been in there a long time, as well. Giveaway is the discoloring on the porcelain near the hex. I don't know what causes this, but it takes a long time to accumulate, so they may be originals.

The 3rd plug from my left has me a bit concerned, though. was it loose, or is there an oil leak in that plug well? The discoloring on the plug nut near the gasket isn't normal.

Not a terminal problem, but you might want to make sure the plugs are torqued properly, and your valve cover gasket is sealed fully.

Yes, I kept them in order, from left to right if you were sitting on the bike. I noticed the molasses-like oil goo on the 3rd plug and didn't pay attention (dont remember right now) if it was loose. Good idea about valve cover...will check when I go back out to the garage. Can you think of any other maintenace that may be needed at 20k? I bought the bike less than three months ago with 14k on it so you see I dont let it sit much and need it to be as reliable as it can be...thats why I buy Honda :grin:

A treatment or two of carb cleaner will help clean things up in the fuel bowls and combustion chambers.

As for fluids, you may want to swap out the brake fluid, clutch fluid (probably pretty dark by now), as well as fork oil.

Check out the ph level of the coolant while you're at it. If there's any doubt, change it out, too. Ten minute job with the fairings off.

I bought synthetic brake fluid and planned on changing that out. Is there brake bleeders on the callipers just like a car? I can then install my chrome clutch and brake fluid caps I got from BIGBOY. BLING BLING

I have always used brake fluid in the clutch for cars...is it ok for the XX?

Will regular (Prestone) antifreeze be ok or do you have to find Honda :roll: antifreeze? I got a bottle of Techron for fuel system so it looks like I have most bases covered here! Thanks Northman...Look forward to meeting up with you guys at NEXXT and SEXXT next year!

:bike:

Josh

I bought synthetic brake fluid and planned on changing that out.

5.1 = good

5.0 = BAD

Is there brake bleeders on the callipers just like a car?

Yes, but follow the procedure outlined in the manual. It's not as difficult as some people make it out to be.

I have always used brake fluid in the clutch for cars...is it ok for the XX?

Every hydraulic clutch system uses brake fluid.

Will regular (Prestone) antifreeze be ok or do you have to find Honda :roll: antifreeze?

My belief is any name brand, aluminum compatable antifreeze will do the job. Add some Water Wetter if you want to lower the temps a bit.

Thanks Northman...Look forward to meeting up with you guys at NEXXT and SEXXT next year!

See ya @ NeXXt. I'll be on the West coast in June if all works out :grin:

One more question...What is proper way to clean/reuse K&N filter? Don't know how long it has been in there.

I remember the former owner mentioning a chain oiler. It is a Scottoiler. I have never used it because seller said he thought it might dump too much on the chain...Any sites out there about this item?

Thanks the help...Will post updates when I recieve the R/R Monday

Josh

One more question...What is proper way to clean/reuse K&N filter? Don't know how long it has been in there.

I remember the former owner mentioning a chain oiler. It is a Scottoiler. I have never used it because seller said he thought it might dump too much on the chain...Any sites out there about this item?

Thanks the help...Will post updates when I recieve the R/R Monday

Josh

I have a scottoiler and love it. makes a bit of a mess if you leave it turned up a bit, but I got 34k out of my stock chain.

Ahhh.. the dilema of a bike already apart for other work.

I see you have a 4 into 1 pipe, is it running good? good time for carb work/jet kit.

Second plug from left looks like the gap is too large. ground electrode bent at extreme angle. Might just be picture though. 20K miles, put in new iridiums.

I'll also say good time for ALL fluids to be changed. Older used bike, don't know what was done.

Got the Buell footpegs on I see.

I'd replace them if they have that many miles. You'd probably notice a difference in smoothness. If number three is oily it may be the seal between the head and the valve cover is leaking slightly. If it's carbon possibly not torqued properly.

I see you have a 4 into 1 pipe, is it running good? good time for carb work/jet kit.

It was running pretty good, it is jetted with Dynojet kit. I am sure the new plugs/fluids will make it run better. Any adjustments of needles I can check while in there?

Second plug from left looks like the gap is too large. ground electrode bent at extreme angle. Might just be picture though. 20K miles, put in new iridiums.

I put in a set of platinums. The parts house did not have iridiums in stock and I wasn't going to extend my down time waiting for spark plugs. UPS.com says my Ricks R/R will be here Monday so I plan on having everything done and back together except for the tail section by then.

I'll also say good time for ALL fluids to be changed. Older used bike, don't know what was done.

I had bought oil and filter, and a large jug of synthetic brake fluid. I went to start flushing the cluthc out and realized the brake fluid was Synthetic DOT3. I guess I will return that today and look for DOT4 or DOT5.1 and get some antifreeze. I will feel better having all fluids flushed out and changed as I use the bike for commute/fun and have put on 6,000 mile in 2 1/2 months I have owned her.

If number three is oily it may be the seal between the head and the valve cover is leaking slightly

I believe it may be the valve cover leaking slightly as the was a small amount of molasses like goo around the base of the plug.

Hobicus, what type fluid does the Scottoiler use? I thought the last owner said he used a 90 weight gear oil. Does that sound right?

Josh

Package Progress:

Date/

Time Location Activity

Nov 19, 2004

7:12 P.M.

INDIANAPOLIS, IN, US

ARRIVAL SCAN

3:38 P.M. COLUMBUS, OH, US DEPARTURE SCAN

1:31 P.M. COLUMBUS, OH, US ARRIVAL SCAN

4:16 A.M. LAUREL, MD, US DEPARTURE SCAN

Nov 18, 2004

9:59 P.M.

LAUREL, MD, US

ARRIVAL SCAN

9:06 P.M. WALDORF, MD, US DEPARTURE SCAN

8:12 P.M. WALDORF, MD, US ORIGIN SCAN

5:32 P.M. WALDORF, MD, US PICKUP SCAN

3:00 P.M. US BILLING INFORMATION RECEIVED

MY R/R is sitting two hours away, and it is going to be 60 degrees Saturday and Sunday and dry here :cry:

Hey Mike, Travis, Sunshine, how about you pick it up in Indy and eXXpress ship it to me? :wink:

JB