CBR1100XX.org Forum

tire mount and balance myself??

bartonmd

I'm just going to pay for it done this time, but at $50-$60 with me taking my wheels in to them, I figure a tire mounting fixture and balancing fixture will pay for themselves after a couple times...

I know I have seen them on here, but did a search and didn't come up with much....

I found the one where you kinda make it yourself balancer, but I was looking for the one that comes with like ABEC-5 bearings and stuff.

Also, any advice on a good manual tire mounter... or just one from Harbor Frieght?

Thanks,

Mike

It's cheap and easy to do it yourself and YES the harbor freight mounting station does the job quite well. There is no need to buy the above recommended item as it runs @$100 (you can use the axle and two older wheel bearings, bought mine from CBR bearing co for $6 total).

If you want more info let me know, my buddy and I have mounted our tires (about 6 sets) ove the last couple years with great success.

Steve

I found the one where you kinda make it yourself balancer, but I was looking for the one that comes with like ABEC-5 bearings and stuff.

He did ask. I never recommended it, either, I don't own one.

Just a link to what it sounds like he may looking for.

Yeah, the Harbor Freight ones are pretty cheap ($34), but don't you need the $45 motorcycle tire attachment to do them?

Also, on the balancer... wasn't there one that some guy made that some people here had that was actually a stand and was supposed to be really accurate and he includes some weights and stuff with it?

Thanks,

Mike

Here is the page Tim and you are thinking of....

http://www.tireqwik.com/tireqwik/index.html

There is a Harbor Freight around here but I still haven't found my way to it.

In the mean time a friend of mine made me a tool similiar to the one Tim posted. I used to use the axles and the wheel bearings, but the separate bearings are much more sensitive....

Three other friends (Jerry,Nik and Tim) got inpatient I guess, when I was changing their tires using a C-clamp and gave me this as a gift !

3551.jpg

http://www.aerostich.com/riderwearhouse.store ..... scroll down.

THANKS GUYS !!! :cool:

Cheers,

I've got the tireqwik set up and I've been using it for about three years now-works like a charm. IIRC, it set me back about $160 and I figure I've changed about 25 tires in that time, so at $20/tire (at the cheapest shop around), I paid for the kit 13 tires ago.

Give it a shot; with a little practice, yuo can change a tire in about 20 minutes (not counting balancing).

Bryan...you can charge a sixpack to change and balance a pair...

IMHO the price is second to knowing it's done right. At 150+ mph I won't trust my bike in the hands of ANY bike mechanic I've met yet!

PS: We use the Harbor Freight jig (ran us about $90) which is bolted to the floor using lag bolts, then I made up a very simple balancing stand (out of 2x4's) that works perfect... so well it proved that my last set of newly mounted tires (and newly scratched rims ) were WAY off in their balance when I returned from the local Honda Stealer (Kolbe Honda).

the wheel balencer from Marc Parnes works great for single sided wheels. I built a changing machine from about 30 bucks worth of steel and parts. Forked over 90 bucks for a coats 220 iron as it would have taken me forever ot make one. By all means change your own tires.webfirst-tire-off.jpg