CBR1100XX.org Forum

VFR Bars for 00 Bird - Help

eddie

:???: This is an old topic, but I'm a new guy and this site has always been a great source of info on typical modifications. Can I swap 2000 VFR bars for my stock 2000 XX bars? If so, what if any additional mods/parts required? Can I use VFR bars off more recent models 2002+? Bike is currrently in pieces awaiting new frame and I thought while it was apart I would make some changes.

New Guy..

yes 2002 or newer...mine are 2002...you may need to cut off the little stop nubs on the cylinders...I was lucky and didnt have to...but if i want any more adjustment out of the levers I will need to...aside from that everything is working for me a year later...good luck!

Do the VFR bars just swap on without ANY modificaiton being required? I ask because I have a set of GenMar risers on my '03 and this 3/4" additional heigth stretches the clutch hose to its limits, i.e. very tight at either lock. It seems to me that raising the bars any higher would require a longer clutch hose. Is this not the case?

Thx.

You can put the VFR bars on with no other mods. You might want to cut the locating tabs off your brake and clutch fluid reservoirs. Then you can rotate your lines to get more slack.

yes 2002 or newer...mine are 2002...you may need to cut off the little stop nubs on the cylinders...I was lucky and didnt have to...but if i want any more adjustment out of the levers I will need to...aside from that everything is working for me a year later...good luck!

Please note, that if you do so, be carefull to loosen the bolt just enough to turn the lines. If you loosen it too much, you will get air into the system, and you need to replace all the brake/clutch fluids. I know I did :oops: .

Also check the gascables. It is possible that when making a full turn, you will stretch the lines, and increase the RPM's. This can come as quite a surprise....

There is a notch (is that the correct word?) at the front of the gastank holding these cables. If you re-route the cables outside of the forklegs (instead of inside), and take the cables out of the notch, you will have plenty room.

I did not use the VFR-bars, but I bought Vario-Bars. They are a little higher and fully adjustable in all directions. Maybe you don't need to do this on the VFR-bars, but I just wanted to report this....