CBR1100XX.org Forum

Engine problems...need advise

GUMBYBOB

So there I was, out for my last ride of the season today. Actually going to the bike shop to pick up some gasoline stabilizer, change the oil & put it away today. Ten miles from home, sitting at a red light in neutral and all of a sudden, a loud mechanical "whirring" noise coming from the engine. At first I thought it was a truck's engine brake pulling up behind me. Scared the shit out of me as I looked in the mirrors. But it was me. It increases frequency slightly as the engine revs, also. I got it home and it ran just fine, although I never reved it up beyond the minimum to get it home. It's a '97 with 25,000 miles. I haven't changed the cam chain tensioner yet. Being non mechanically inclined (bike wise) that's the only thing I can think of.

Any suggestions????

Yes, it's always there. I popped off the left side fairing and the fan seems clear. But it's LOUD man, like too loud to be coming from inside the engine. If something's caught in the fan, it's a BOLT....not a leaf. It's that loud. It starts and runs fine but sounds horrible. I'll do more investigation for sure but there's no rush, I guess. It's snowing today and tomorrow.

Just a couple weeks ago I was rolling down the highway when my CCT spring broke and it sounded kinda like that. Sounded like all hell broke loose in the right side of the motor. F'N LOUD repetetive noise affected by rpm, not chaotic like something fell off in there. With mine the sound went away if I got the rpm's high enough (centrifugal chain tension i'm guessing) Mine's a 97 with about 21K.