CBR1100XX.org Forum

I'm sure this has been rehashed a billion time but K&N?

RobRocket

Fixing the bird since my get off... Should I do a K&N Air Filter or stick with the paper stock one? The bike is stock aside from Scorpion Slip on's. Waste of money?

BTW, Scorpion Stainless system is awesome, loud but not too loud, nice and deep toned... It was the cheapest I could find on the web www.parts411.com at 514. The cool thing about scorpion is that they have a 1 time crash warranty replacement, you damage the system and as long as you mailed in the warranty card you can return it to them and they will send you a brand new set for 1/2 price under warranty!

1276906348HwyWall.JPG

1276875Chattahooc9.JPG

Hey, I lived in Lawrenceville for 5 years; a subdivision right off of Lester Rd. (pleasant hill becomes lester at route 29)

1989 - 1994. The traffic was bad even back then.

Only buy the K&N if you're looking to save $ long term vs. replacing filters. I don't think there's a performance advantage with the amount of air that we're passing....or at least I've never seen any advantage through the metrics that I can measure, which is basically mpg.

The K&N will flow a little more air especially with aftermarket pipes. It may run a little lean if you don't have a Power Commander to richen her up a little bit. A friend of mine runs one in his bird and didn't really like it till he put a PC on it.

Get that thing fixed back up. You north of Atlanta? We need to hook up and do some riding. I'm on the other side of Chattanooga from you. Good lookin scoot, well before the off road excersion.

Well I was told the exhaust makes it run a little richer... so maybee K&N lean it back out... Wondering if I should throw a powercommander on it... It's fast enough for what as is....

Yea, all the parts are on order some came in yesterday, be back to new shortly! Sure on riding, but I'm going slow after this getoff in the twisties... after 2 wrecks this season I'm physically creaking, elbows still hurt and now the shoulder, rib cage and neck... I enjoy riding too much to give it up but I don't enjoy going down so I gotta slow down.

Well I'll tell what I found. My pipes (stock) before the K&N were always black and souty on the tips. After the K&N this has gone away. So I know for a fact the bike is running leaner. Second while I was in daytona the bike ran a little warmer than usual while stuck in traffic. Nothing major because it still didn't over heat but it was warmer than usual. Reason number two I know it is running leaner. Third I have noticed a slight (very slight) increase in gas mileage. I have not seen a real performance gain or loss with the filter. It doesn't seem to run any better or start any easier or anything like that. It also hasn't slowed it down any. It just leaned the bike out a little.

Hmmmm.... I have none of the issues you guys experience. :???:

'99 'Bird - I installed the K&N mainly for the long time savings factor.

Didn't nottice any difference.

Maaaaany miles later, the mileage dropped a significant amount, but I installed new slip-ons (B.O.S.) and new GIVI bags.....

When I took the filter out and cleanned it - man it sure needed it, the mileage whent back higher . But I also changed the plugs at that time.

My bike definatelly doesn't run lean nor hot.

YMMV....... :cool:

Cheers,

The K&N flows more air than a stock element because.................the holes in their filter are larger than the holes in the stock filter. Which also means that larger and more particles of contaminants also get into your engine. Air filters typically don't trap anything smaller than medium-sized rocks (relatively speaking), so unless you frequently encounter dusty conditions, the K&N shouldn't hurt anything. The main reason for switching to that type of filter is to improve air flow thru the motor, so unless you run a turbo and/or have opened up the intake and exhaust manifolds or have made other modifications that call for increased air flow, the only two benefits of the K&N filter are the reusability of the filter and the K&N sticker on your tank. Results may vary. No warranty. No loitering.