CBR1100XX.org Forum

Odd de-linking question...

MileHi

OK, I've put almost 10k miles on the '99 since the beginning of May of this year. I've read the pros and cons of linked vs. de-linked and I have found that in most circumstances the linked (front lever) is great... But , I have experienced a few pucker moments on gravel/dirt roads where the linked rear just about caused me to drop the bike. So... Has anyone ever (considered) de-linking JUST the rear brake pedal??? To be honest, I really like the linked front, but could do without the linked rear...

Comments, suggestions or flames... :lol:

Sure, you could do it by disconnecting all hydraulic connections from the rear pedal to the front.

- BUT -

If you were to de-link that way, you only have one piston applying pressure to the rear brake from the rear lever.

Not sure how much braking effect that would have, but just so you know...

The other two are applied through the LBS master on the left fork leg.

There's two lines between the back and front, one going from the secondary master on the fork leg to the rear caliper, the secong going from the rear pedal to the center pistons up front.

If he keeps the front to back link (master on fork leg and associated plumbing) he'll keep all three pistons out back. But....by eliminating the back to front hydraulic line you would lose the use of the center two pistons up front, which are only activated by applying the rear pedal.

Well, that puts me right back where I started from... :banghead: I guess I have re-evaluate whether I REALLY love or hate the LBS... As of right now, I find that I'm pretty happy with it... Thanks for the responses...