CBR1100XX.org Forum

Let’s talk clutches

SBBXX

I’ve got a 97. I’ve been noticing the clutch slipping for a while. I changed my oil and it was better, but with less than 3000 km after the oil change, (Mobile 1), it’s gotten really bad.

What would you do?

Replace the plates?

Replace the whole clutch?

Is there a better aftermarket one I should be looking at?

Would a post 99 clutch fit, and if so, would that be a good idea? and

How easy is it to do myself?

Finally, could it be something else?

Thanks

marty

Really only a couple of things to check, Marty.

Bleed & flush the clutch fluid, first.

Pull the slave cover, and remove the clutch pushrod. Make sure it isn't hanging up, not allowing the clutch to fully engage.

Other than that, sounds like you need clutch plates. I'd replace both steels & fibers, and go with stock. Replace the springs while you're at it for insurance.

Why don't you PM me directions to your place? I'm leaving here in a few minutes with no destination in mind, so may head that direction :idea:

Oh, not sure if the post 99 will fit or not. I imagine it would, as long as you're replacing the basket as well.

Clutch replacement is easy. We could do it in less than an hour, if you needed assistance.

97/98 clutches are very different from 99 and up.  Nothing interchangeable at all.

I thought the difference was in the basket.

Could you not swap it out completely? (basket, plates, pressure plate, etc.)

Any idea what the difference is, Dean? Splines?

This is the first clutch I've heard going out on the XX.

On my Sabre I put in a Barnett at 25K miles. It's still in at 100K miles.

I replaced the fibre and steel discs.

I thought the 99 and newer dropped 2 discs and changed the friction material and leverage of the master cylinder.

I thought the 99 and newer dropped 2 discs and changed the friction material and leverage of the master cylinder.

99-up uses 7 friction plates, and 6 springs in the pressure plate. 97-98 used 5 springs, and not sure how many plates.

Leverage of the master remains the same, IIRC, as the master itself, and the slave are the same parts.

99-up uses 7 friction plates, and 6 springs in the pressure plate. 97-98 used 5 springs, and not sure how many plates.

Leverage of the master remains the same, IIRC, as the master itself, and the slave are the same parts.

Nine, I think.

Too lazy to get the book.

J.

You made me look it up. :roll:

According to my manual, 9 plates in the clutch.

According to my 99 Rider mag, "a newly developed clutch friction material, plus changes in the clutch ratio and master cylinder, allowed the number of plates to be reduced from nine to seven, which results in a 15% reduction in clutch effort."

I personally would leave it at 97 spec. and just replace the plates with factory or Barnett stuff. Also check the springs for free length.

Confirmed with Ayers.

Master cylinder & slave are the same throughout the years. The new clutch has less plates, but more clamping force (6 springs vs. 5).

IMO, using the newer clutch will not be a problem, but not a necessity.

I would not use Barnett over the Honda OEM.  Not that I have any specific experience that says Barnett is bad, but that Mr. Stotz says he has tried about everything over the years on an XX and found that stock was just plain best.

The list of things that aren't stock in his motor is very short.  Rods, pistons, valves (head flowed/ported with 1mm larger exhaust valves), multi-stange lock-up.  His tranny is back-cut but still the stock one.

Crank? [/curious]