CBR1100XX.org Forum

Suspension question

BubbaZ

I have a question. I have an '03 with 6K miles on which I've just mounted a set of Z6's. It seems now that the suspension is worse than before - rough pavement bounces me around on the seat and moderate bumps that my VFR ignores, lifts my butt off the Blackbird seat. From the manual, it seems there is just the S<>H adjustment at the rear and nothing at the front. Today I tried full H to Full S with stops in between. Full Soft was the best but still far from acceptable. I weigh about 240 fully laden. So, I'm not quite sure what's happening. Anyone have an opinion? Can a suspension shop make further adjustments that are likely to improve the ride? Do I really have to go into aftermarket springs and shocks? Your experience would be welcome.

No doubt about it that aftermarket suspension is the way to go. Much improved over stock!

You mention this problem only started after the tires? What pressures are you running? How are you checking them?

No doubt about it that aftermarket suspension is the way to go. Much improved over stock!

You mention this problem only started after the tires? What pressures are you running? How are you checking them?

The suspension wasn't that great before the tires and seems more noticeably poor after the tire change. I've got about 39 lbs on the recommendation of the tire guy.

The "full soft" ajustment you guys are refering to is only the rebound damping, not going to effect harshness on compression much.

I didn't find that the stock shock was worth messing around with all that much beyond setting the sag.

I didn't find that the stock shock was worth messing around with all that much beyond setting the sag.

I understand about how to meassure sag, but I don't underrstand how to adjust it on the Blackbird. Can you explain?

At your weight, you're going to need more preload out back, and new springs in front to get it right. You're probably riding around with the suspension mostly compressed right now- not enough travel left to soak up the rough stuff.

You ajust rear preload by loosening the lock nut (top of two large "castled" nuts on the upper portion of the shock) above the spring, and turning the the other nut clockwise, further compressing the spring. This is made much easier by removing the shock, though some guys have done it with the shock mounted.

Heavier fork springs are available for around $100, and are a breeze to install if you're at all mechanically inclined.

Here in Holland, most of the XX-'s have changed the springs (and oil), or even the complete shock.

Most of them chose Hyperpro, because it is the only manufacturer who uses a fully progressive spring (the angle of the spring changes every single winding, and not in 2 or 3 steps). This gives a comfortable ride when driving normally, and a sporty ride at high speeds. In our opinion it is the best investment you can make, to get the bike handling better.

If I did not try it, I would not have believed it, but with these alterations you can do some corners about 50% faster!

It also will improve the maximum angle of inclination greately. Because the end of the spring is considerabely stronger, the bike will not compress the spring as much in the corners as the original. Also it is possible to lower the front, and heighten the rear. This makes lighter steering....

If you want more info, just ask or PM....

Thank you all for your advice. The Hyperpro front/rear kit sounds like the way to go. I've emailed Hyperpro as they do not list the '03 as a supported model.

Any suggestions on a good/economical place to order the spring kit from?

The springs will fit all years, so no worries there.

Keep in mind that replacing the springs will be an improvement, but definitely not a fix-all.

If you plan on keeping the bird for more than a year, than you'll want to consider buying an aftermarket shock, and having the forks re-valved. If that's the case, then buying a spring for the shock now will be a waste of money.

FWIW, I find the stock shock spring to be ample, but the damping sucks.

FWIW, I find the stock shock spring to be ample, but the damping sucks.

Agree. If you're going to drop money on the rear, pony up and buy a whole shock, the stock spring is plenty strong if you add a bit more preload.

Cheap option, increase preload out back and replace the front springs. Better, more expensive option, replace rear shock and completely re-work front forks- springs and valving.

You can go the cheaper route without wasting any $$, because you're going to have to buy the front springs one way or the other, and then you can always upgrade the rear shock and front valving later.

Have you ever noticed that life offers no easy answers (well, most of the time).

OK, new plan - replace the front springs with Hyperpro and increase rear preload and see how it feels. I'd prefer to avoid adding the after market shock if I can because of the cost.

So, do you guys have more info on the valve-replacement in the shocks? As far as I know nobody in Holland ever did this, and probably neither in England or Germany. I can't find any info on any of the European boards. Do you think it is only worth wile in case of a heavier rider? I am myself a slim-built person, and I have no more complaints after replacing the springs and (thinner) oil.

So, do you guys have more info on the valve-replacement in the shocks?

Shocks, or forks?

Re-valving the fork is common, and parts are available through Racetech, Traxxion, etc. Other choice is to have a competent suspension guy re-vale them for you, using the factory valves.

As for the shock, it's not worth it, IMO. Still not externally adjustable, and probably cost almost as much as a replacement to have it re-valved and re-sprung.

Buy an aftermarket shock, or go with a 93-95 900RR shock with the proper spring (cheap alternative to aftermarket).

hi,

i would also like to have more informations about revalving the forks. i now have progressive springs from wilbers and a thinner oil. it's an improvement over the stock, but i'm not satisfied - as i have now also a wilbers rear shock. would be nice if anybody out there has more infos.

cheers from austria