CBR1100XX.org Forum

Starter valve sync,,,and winter storage

BlueBlackBird

Up here its about time to put it away, last week while I was getting the safety insp, on my 2000bb(passed with flying colours) the fellow at the shop mentioned I should look into getting the throttle bodies synced??.for about 100$, I went home and perused my shop manual and found no mention of throttle body sync but there is the starter valve sync, there is no mention of maintanance schedule fore this , is it necessary or is the guy at the shop yanking me,,another question ,this is my first fi bike and wondered about winter storage, besides the obvious, oil and filter change ,top up with fuel and stabilizer,wash, wax and cover and put on center stand.How about fogging the intakes? or any other thing anyone can think of??

Guest rockmeupto125

Fogging the intakes?

Don't be spraying no stuff in the throttle bodies. And tell your mech to leave them the hell alone.

Battery Tender. Wax. Stabil. Cover. Tape off the exhausts if you got critters. ( I have a right side stock can chock full of nuts. Some day I'm gonna install it and see how it smells.... :razz: )

Tape off the exhausts if you got critters.  ( I have a right side stock can chock full of nuts. Some day I'm gonna install it and see how it smells.... )

BAHAHAHA

I found a set of stock cans on Ebay for my Katana. When I installed them, and fired it up... a whole mouse nest went flying out of the exhausts, but no mouse. Still sorta smells funny...

Your mechanic wants to make money off of you. Find another one.

As for the winter storage: Mostly what Joe said. Honda polish bike, top off the tank, put fuel stabilizer in it, change the oil, and take out the battery, sit it on a shelf inside until spring. This year I'll probalby just stick it on a battery tender, though.

Guest Jetpilot5

Has anyone done the starter valve sync? I did it to my VFR and it started easier and idled a little better afterward. Seems like my XX doesn't need it, I'm just curious.

Has anyone done the starter valve sync?  I did it to my VFR and it started easier and idled a little better afterward.  Seems like my XX doesn't need it, I'm just curious.

It's on my "to do" list, but just haven't got around to it, yet... :roll:

As for the storage, pick a spot that remains relatively steady in temperature. A lot of temperature cycling will cause moisture buildup, and subsequent corrosion :shock:

Might want to stuff closed the intake ducts as well, to avoid the chance of nesting.