CBR1100XX.org Forum

Hard Water Stains on Roof

Involute

My Evaporative Cooler sprung a leak on my new roof and the resulting stains annoy the shit out of me. Do any of you know of a product that will remove the stains and not damage the shingles? I can call around the roofing shops on Monday but if I can get it taken care of this weekend I'll sleep better.

Thanks.

New roof? Best option in that case would be to replace a few shingles, matching shouldn't be much of a problem with a newer roof.

If it's too large an area for that to be practical, I'd think you might try CLR or a similar mild, acid based cleaner- dilute it as much as you can and still get the job done, rinse it really well when done and it shouldn't do any damage to the roof.

I'll try the CLR first. The thought of replacing shingles kills me (almost). I sent an e-mail to the CLR folks to make sure it won't damage the shingles. Hopefully I get some good news from them. I just did the damn roof this spring. Thanks for the tip.

Vinegar is great for takeing those hard water stains off of shower stall windows as well...... plus sink faucets, etc.

It's one of the home cleaning tricks.

I don't know how it's going to work on asphalt shingles, but I'm not sure I would even try the CLR, because that might eat your shingles up.

I'm curious to how well the vinegar works on your roof, so please let us know.

Good luck!

Just saw this- DO NOT pressure wash your roof, very bad.

Wouldn't a pressure washer break the surface gravel loose and decrease the lifespan?

Bingo. Stick to some sort of chemical method, or just replace the shingles if that's making you nervous.