CBR1100XX.org Forum

Rear shock adjustment help needed

XX4me

I do a variety of different riding conditions from chasing and being chased by ducs and ninja's though 100mph sweepers and tight country roads, to straight lining down I-70 with bags. I know I'm limited in what I can expect from the stock suspension but my question is what should I be doing with it until I can upgrade. I tend to run my tires at or near 42 with no ill effects on handling that I'm aware of. So should I set my supension hard for highway and soft for corners. I've been running the stock setting for everything but if there could be an improvement i'll try it.

I tend to run my tires at or near 42 with no ill effects on handling that I'm aware of.

Your running to much air! Most of us run mid 30s. Unless your running on the highway all the time then more is better.

So should I set my supension hard for highway and soft for corners.

You should run it softer on the highway and harder in the twisties.

What's the advantage to 35psi in the tire?

Doesn't that make it feel mushy in the corners?

Years ago I read somewhere that radial tires handle best at or near max psi.

You know I may have been running mine opposite all this time, soft suspension hard tires. I can see some testing will be needed tomorrow.

Where should I start other than 35psi. Should I set the damping full hard? 1 turn towards soft from full hard?

Forrest

I've done the static sag ajustment. I set front and rear at 1 1/2 in. had to shim fork springs for front. I'm running the standard rebound setting in the rear.

I also run 42 psi front and rear. Gives a more precise, light feeling in corners. Never had a traction problem.

Use a piece of pvc pipe inside under each fork cap on top of spring. It will take a couple of trys to get the right height. once it is done right you won't have to change it unless your weight changes drastically.

For the rear, I had to remove the shock (not hard) to break the lock ring loose. Honda really tourqes everything.

Once loose, reinstall and if you don't have a brass punch and are the gun sort, use a spent .22 rimfire case on the end of your punch so you don't chew up the preload rings.