CBR1100XX.org Forum

Anyone know if RC51 rims fit an XX?

Hairbear

As most of you here know..I recently had a date with tha pavement and we swapped some spit on the first date....In the process I wiped out my front end...front rim broken in 2 spots and the forks are bent.

I came across these rims on ebay and it states that they interchange between a XX and a RC51..

ANYONE?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...mMakeTrack=true

Thanx Tom

PS..Did some more searching on ebay and came across Rc51 forks w/a lower tree.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...mMakeTrack=true

Whatta ya think?

Will the front end of a RC51 interchange with a XX..I'll still need the top clamp and will more than likely have to work on a front brake set-up.

How long are RC51 forks compared to a XX? I do not want change the rake on the bike if they're way different..

Thanx again Tom

I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think that the wheels will swap out as easily as he makes it sound. Things to consider, that are easily overlooked, are sprocket/chain size, rotor diameter and spacing, and axle diameters. I highly doubt that it would be a simple bolt-on affair.

As for the forks, yes, they will work with a bit of modification. The length from the bottom of the top tree to the axle is about the same (if I remember correctly), but that leaves no room above the tree for bars. TSR sells kits for this, but they aren't cheap. Another option might be the converti-bars, but I'm not 100% sure.

It would be far easier and cheaper to stick to stock XX parts, but if you have the money and are willing to modify/fab parts, then go for it. I know I'd like to have the SP1 forks on my bike.

I know 954/929 front ends will go on a XX. EliXXir has done this. I think the RC 51 ones will too, but you'd have to get the upper tripple to make them fit. You'd need new front brake lines and the calipers for the 51. Of course de-linking is in order. You might need a new master cylinder for the front brakes as well cause you're gonna be pushing more pistons than stock. You might try Ron Ayers to check the bearings to see if they interchange, or have the same axle diameter for the rear wheel. Don't think the rear will fit though.

I know 954/929 front ends will go on a XX. EliXXir has done this. I think the RC 51 ones will too, but you'd have to get the upper tripple to make them fit. You'd need new front brake lines and the calipers for the 51. Of course de-linking is in order. You might need a new master cylinder for the front brakes as well cause you're gonna be pushing more pistons than stock. You might try Ron Ayers to check the bearings to see if they interchange, or have the same axle diameter for the rear wheel. Don't think the rear will fit though.

This is all correct---the issue is mounting he bars---as stock RC51 mounts wont clear the plastic

If you did this and wanted to keep clip-ons, Two Brothers offers some clip-ons with up to 3 1/2" risers. Calcxx (SP?) has these and I think he really likes them. He has them mounted with the bar behind the fork tubes and he has his closer to him than stock and higher as well. That would probably get you close to the stock height if not a little higher for the setup for the bird if you mounted them under the tripple like on the 51.

I checked Ron ayers for the steering stem bearings..great Idea..thanx...micro fiches on the web..can't beat it.

I ran into a problem already..the lower stem bearing is a totally different design...the upper bearing is identical.I have to look at this more...its probably not going to be worth it.

If I come across 954 parts I may go with that....Ron Ayers doesn't have a fiche for the 929 or 954.

Or

If someone has XX parts...PM me I have cash to deal.

thank you for all the help...

tom

Hairbear, I'm real happy with the Two-Bros bars on the XX. I bought a

used pair on E-bay for my 954 and decided the fukr wheelstands

too damn easy with stock bars so I decided not to put them on

954 so, if you decide to try and put 954 forks on your XX then

give me a shout and I'll make ya good deal on the Two-Bros

bars to fit the 954 forks. As others have said, you will have to

put them under the triple clamp.

Here's a pic of the same bars on my XX.

20049234690397066264057.jpg

CALCXX...awesome thanx for the photo and the offer on the bars...I'm still not sure which way I'm going with this..so if you need to get rid of them...sell'em, cause I don't want you waiting on me.

but...Can you take a pic' of those bars from above and post it?.

Whats your thoughts on the 954 forks on the XX with the Two-Bros bars on them.....

Are they comparable in length?

Do you think there will be any clearance issues with the bars turning from lock to lock?

Can you please PM me a price on the bars...I'd like to try and add this up to see if I can afford it.

Thing I'd need:::(all ebayed of course)

forks

triple clamps

rim

calipers

master cyl.

front fender

thanx tom

This is not a very good photo. My camera is at work. I could get a better one for you later. I will investigate clearance issues tommorow night.

I'm gettin ready for bed. Sittin here scratchin my nuts in my shorts.

Later

20049233456626548916610.jpg

Those bars are sweet. Hairbair, those forks on CALCXX's bike aren't RC 51 forks. They are the stock forks with the two bros bars installed. The 51's clip ons are below the tripple clamp. You can see the amount of rise from those bars in the pic though. I would guess that with the two bros. bars on 51 forks and upper tripple, you would get about the same height for the grips as stock. One of these days I'll have me a set of those for my bird. They look like the best out there IMHO.

FYI, The risers on the TBR bars for the XX are 2 3/4" and as you can see,

the clutch and brake reserviour barely clear the stock windshield. The TBR

bars for the 954 have the 3 1/4" risers. Should be close to what I have as a finished install under the triple clamps.

Edit: it should be the thickness of the triple clamp lower than my bars

since the extra 1/2 inch would be a wash in the relocate.

Demon..i can not go w/RC51 forks..the stem bearings are different.

I may go w954s though..seems like a much easier swap.

CALCXX

You already answered my next ?

----------------------------------------------------------------

FYI, The risers on the TBR bars for the XX are 2 3/4" and as you can see,  

the clutch and brake reserviour barely clear the stock windshield. The TBR  

bars for the 954 have the 3 1/4" risers. Should be close to what I have as a finished install under the triple clamps.  

Edit: it should be the thickness of the triple clamp lower than my bars  

since the extra 1/2 inch would be a wash in the relocate  

I'm wondering if the risers would clear around the inside of the bike..where the black plastic covering is located on the XX.

tom

Tom, I took some pics and I must tell you. There are some clearance

issues meaning, you won't get the same results that I have.

Top view

20049264967816066652025.jpg

I have placed the pivot toward the back to lessen the reach to the bars.

20049268656529605013610.jpg

Turned to the stops, the pivot is not going to clear below the triple clamp.

20049268696040240541349.jpg

That means you would have to place the pivot in the front.

20049262122125494918698.jpg

The 954 bar would not give you the same results as I have gotten.

They will clear placed in front of the tube but, you will not gain as

much as I have for reach.

Hope this helps. Shop around. I'm in no hurry to sell.

20049261942342485938052.jpg

Man..great pics'..thanx for taking time to do me the favor.

So..If I use the Two Bros risers and place the pivot in the front of the fork..Will there be enuf' room for the riser to clear everything when turning the bars from lock to lock?

Or

I may be able to make some custom risers for switching to the 954 forks.

Whew!! Lots to think about...It all dpends on how much I want to spend just to be different..Hmm.. May be better off just being normal!!

Thanx Tom

So..If I use the Two Bros risers and place the pivot in the front of the fork..Will there be enuf' room for the riser to clear everything when turning the bars from lock to lock?

Thanx Tom

Tom, The bars will clear from lock to lock. It's hard to tell if the clutch

and break res. will clear with a stock shield. I recently purchased

a Black Chrome Speedscreen for the XX and haven't put it on yet.

The side wings on the new shield are less obtrusive in this area.

My opinion, I think it would work with a "Speedscreen" shield.

Tom, I'll tell ya what, if you decide to go the 954 route, I'll send ya the

bars and if they don't work, you send em back. I quoted you a

price. You can pay me when it's together. Fair enough?

Later, Cal