CBR1100XX.org Forum

Gotta 2000 Firebird. 430 trouble code.

dsanders

Gotta 2000 firebird Trans Am. It is fun to drive and most of the things I have had to work on were minor. The last thing I gotta do is to fix a trouble code coming in. It is the 430 trouble code. In short it supposedly compares the oxygen sensor before the catalytic converter to one after it to see if there is a problem with the converter. The converter is in great shape and the plugs look good so I think it is one of the oxygen sensors. I would like to get other opinioins though before I start changing parts. Would anyone recommend replacing just one to see if the code goes away and then replace the other or do you recommend replacing them as a set?

If it means anything, give the stealer a phone call.

Anything related to emissions is automatically covered under warranty for 12 years by Federal Law.

Pontiac should fix it at no cost to you.

Honda informed me last year of the law when I had my 96 Civic in for a code. It was a sensor that was replaced free.

Worth a Phone Call for sure.

It may depend on your area, as to how long the emissions warranty is good for.

Up here, it's 7 years, 70K miles, but a very limited warranty.

Definitely worth a call to the dealer. If you don't find anything, PM me, and I'll give you a diagnostics chart off of Mitchell when I go back to work tomorrow.

I checked with the dealer, since the car is past 80k the warranty no longer applies. Oh well. "Here is the rest of the story" I check with one muffler place. They said they have to rebuild the area at a cost of $1000. I called the dealer for the cost on the Cat in question $452 just for the Catalytic Converter. I called a hole in the wall shop,"with a good reputation". Bolt up Cat is 269 +70 for installation. This guy comes recommended from a friend who is in the auto repair business. So looking around and knowing just a little can save big $$$$$