CBR1100XX.org Forum

Rising Oil Level

marc60biker

Has anyone experienced their oil levels increasing?

A fellow '99 XX owner locally has been experiencing this phenom lately with the gas smelling like gasoline. Within 500 miles of an oil/filter change the level will be at the top of the dip stick. 70K bike.

I checked my '99 XX today, after he teased me about it this past Sunday, and sure enough, my oil level is at the top o the stick after 250 miles. 50K bike. Although my nose detects very little if any gasoline smell.

Something go wrong with rings or injectors after 50K?

Marc

Raleigh, NC

:cry:

Usually the gas will smell like gas. When the oil starts smelling like gas, you've got trouble. It might be a number of things from the fuel pressure regulator to a bad MAP sensor, TPS sensor, etc.

Does your FI light come on anytime?

Any rideability problems like a rough idle or sluggishness?

Bike all stock or has it been modded with a Power Commander?

Any loss in Fuel mileage?

Ah...that should have been 'oil smelling like gas'..

Friends bike:

FI light does not come on...

No rideability problems reported...

K&N filter with no other mods or Power Commander...

No loss in fuel mileage reported...

My bike:

Same except I have retained stock Honda air filter.

Thanks for the MAP and TPS sensor suggestions. It's possible that I overfilled the the oil during my last change [just dumped in 4 quarts with filter without subsequent level check].

My friend swears that he noted the beginning oil level and checked again after 500 miles, finding an additional 1/2 quart with gas smell. I believe he is having a local Honda shop investigate and I'll report any interesting results.

Marc

Birdie's right. You need to change your oil with it hot and on the centerstand. On the sidestand, the bike isn't tilting in the right direction for good oil drainage. On the centerstand, the engine is tilted foreward toward the drain plug. When I change my oil, I use just under 4 quarts and fill it on the sidestand. I fill it up till it hits the dipstick, fire it up momentairly, kill it and check it again. I usually have to add some more once the filter gets filled up. I always check my oil with the bike resting on the tires and me on the bike. If you check your oil on the sidestand and then check it with the bike upright, you will read more oil in it with it straight up and down.

Just a thought.

If it was a carbed model I'd say you had a combination petcock & float needle problem. But I havn't had enough experiance with FI to know how the fuel could leak through. I do know of a crashed CBR600RR that had the same problem and ran like shit till the oil was changed.