CBR1100XX.org Forum

Tackling the Chain/Sprocket/Brake-Clutch Fluids

GriffXX

OK, Griff's XX Garage is opening up - without the formal training...

http://www.cbr1100xx.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13216

All the standard tools I have, now I need to go get some motorcycle specific tools.

For the chain, a dremmel to cut the old; got it. Is the Motion Pro Chain Riveting Tool (Iron Pony for $80) the ticket for the rivet? Any others? I need to do this ASAP as I am 1/2 way in to the red with a 400 mile ride tomorrow (two-up), and the stealer didn't get it done last week. As no one stocks riet tools, I guess I'll need to do it post ride.

Brakes and Clutch fluids are next. The threads I've seen mainly refer to the Mighty Vac and also state it's a two person job (no way I'm gonna he able to 'hire' the wife). Anything else that hasn't been talked about ad nausium around here? Plenty of info around here on that one.

Lastly, I have the service manual, and unfortunately it barely says squat about swapping the front sprocket. I have also gone through the first 20 pages of this Garage forum (a wealth of info here - I went through a ream of paper printing the wisdom) and seen it referred to, but no step-by-steps. Anybody have or recall any good front sprocket swap information? Or am I getting a little ambitious to tackle this one?

As always, thanks for your help.

Griff

it's a two person job

- i aint' that good, and i did it myself. there are diferent opinions about plumbers tape, just don't suck it into the system if you use it. bleed your brakes in order according to the manual.

good front sprocket swap information

you don't have to remove much. and there's nothing hydraulic you have to unplug and worry about replugging in and bleeding. and it sure wouldn't hurt to have a longer lever torque wrench for tooling.

the front sprocket is easier than the brake and clutch bleed imho. haven't done a chain myself.

:wink:

Thanks David.

I'm looking forwarsd to this stuff and keeping the 'bird away from the stealer as much as possible.

Ordered the MityVac and Motion Pro riveter today. Already have the chain (and an extra connecting link - just in case). My weekend project is set.

don't forget to get 3/8 and 1/2 dr. torque wrenches!

front sprocket removal is easy...put it in first and loosen it. if you turn the motor over while loosening it, chock the rear wheel against the swinger by sticking a board/tool/your willy through it. if you havn't taken the chain off yet of course :oops:

Thanks's M_P.

Chain's already off. Anyway, my willy (actually, Mr. Willy) wouldn't have fit anyway.

Stupid question time...Obviously I'm missing something (probably because I haven't gone inside yet), but why 2 diffferent size torque wrenches?

the big one is for big stuff...the little one is for little stuff :lol:

just like your normal ratchets, there's 3/8 for mid sized stuff where not a lot of torque is required, but then there's shit like your rear axle that takes a big socket and needs 69 lbs/ft of torque on it.

front sprocket is 40 ft/lbs btw.

the big one is for big stuff...the little one is for little stuff :lol:

You're killing me. Here I was expecting some rocket science answer, and out comes the obvious! :loony:

But it reminds me of why I have always struggled with my own repair work - I often make things harder than they are. :hammer:

And the front sprocket torque question was coming next!

As always, I appreciate the help! I'm ready to go.

I use my Snap-On 3/8" drive torque wrench for everything on the XX. I use a 3/8-to-1/2" adapter when I need to use a 1/2" drive socket. Cheap and simple. :grin:

For the maintenance newbies like myself....

Easy stuff. I didn't get around to the brake / clutch fluid, but the chain and sprocket were easy. I almost left the front sprocket on because it looked good. But I figured since I was in there, I might as well swap it. I did split one of the pins while I was riveting it, but fortunately I ordered a backup just in case.

The reason I share my story is that if I can do it, anybody can. There is no reason for anybody to take your bike in to the stealer to install a new chain, unless you really like your stealer. I enjoyed doing trhe work. I know know my bike better.

For any other rookies like me, here is an excellent (in my opinion) play-by-play on replacing the chain:

http://home.stny.rr.com/jhugh250/chain/Cha...Replacement.htm

I think he did a nice job explaining it.

Sounds like I am a little late with this post, but here are a couple of tips.

1. If you are going to replace the front sprocket, do not remove the chain until after you loosen the nut holding the sprocket on. You need some method of keeping the sprocket from turning. That would be either the rear brake, or something between the wheel and the swingarm.

2. If you are the chain but not replacing sprockets, do not remove the old chain completely. Break the old chain, then hook the new chain to the old one. Use the old chain to pull the new chain around the countershaft sprocket.