CBR1100XX.org Forum

A little EBC HH action

DRB NW WA State

This weekend I intended to install front and rear pads on my ’99. Mileage is 30,750. Pads were replaced at 16K with EBC HHs. My plans also included measuring the rotors for wear with a micrometer.

I used an online resource suggested by someone in the forum for EBC HH pads. They were about thirty-three per pair U.S., plus a small shipping charge. Works for me.

Apparently I first took caliper thickness measurements at 27K miles, not 16K as I originally thought. Taking them again only 4K miles later isn’t much of a delta to detect disk wear. Nevertheless, front and rear disk thicknesses were within a few thousandths of last time. If EBC HH pads eat rotors, they aren’t eating mine very fast. My rotors remain well within specification, based on shop manual values.

Pulling two sets of front pads, lo and behold if the bike doesn’t need new ones quite yet, my initial assumption notwithstanding. I’ll examine them again at about 35K miles, when they’ll probably be due. That’s remarkable: roughly 19K miles from a set of high-performance sintered brake pads. Equally astounding, they’re the greatest I’ve ever used on a street bike. Sintered pads plus stainless-steel Honda rotors: “Buckwheat say, “EBC O’Tay!””

As far as measureing your rotors for wear, since the pads don't ride all the way to the edge, a raised ridge will form if there is any wear. Most noticeable when trying to remove a caliper without pushing pistons in. I can't detect any on my bike even with a fingernail. :grin:

My V65 Sabre had a high ridge on the rear rotor at 75K miles, the fronts nothing. Don't know why. :???: And no if anything I am a front braker, on the Sabre it was very easy to lock the rear.

I've just recently installed the EBC HH's on both the front and rear. OMG...the stopping power. I'm going to have to re-learn how to brake. I do a lot of two up riding and that extra level of comfort is certainly there now, as far as stopping power. I changed mine at 15k miles and the right front and rear didn't really need to be replaced. The left front was another story though.

• 2 weeks later...
I've just recently installed the EBC HH's on both the front and rear. OMG...the stopping power. I'm going to have to re-learn how to brake.

NO KIDDING... I changed mine yesterday. Once they were bedded in, I thought that I was going to launch myself over the windshield a couple of times. These are definately the pads that should have been on the bike when it left the factory. WOW!!!

On another note, at 12,000 miles, my outer left OEM pad was worn a bit unevenly but all three sets would have probably lasted another 4,000 miles or so and really didn't need replacement.