CBR1100XX.org Forum

radiator fluid

The Krypt Keeper

My choice for collant after my bird was flushed for the first time after two years and 40.000 kms is "Motul- Motocool Expert". :grin: It isn't diluted and you don't top with H2O. Protection: -13F/+271F. The marketing hype is "Hybrid Tech". Check your owners manuel for type of distilled water; "water with high mineral content or salt may be harmful to the aluminum engine". Using tap water may cause engine damage. Coolants with silicate inhibitors may cause premature wear of water pump seals or brockage of radiator passages. 02 OWNERS MANUAL. I didn't do the flush, I can't turn a wrench. It seems expensive, $8.22 per litre. I just rode through the summer heat, 5,000 kms and bike kept cool event in 35C traffic. Replace coolant @38.400 kms. Have fun! :)

• 8 months later...

I am planning on blowing my bike this weekend (awwww I love you darlin :iloveyou: ) and wanted to confirm that Warchild's suggest radiator fluid will work in the 'bird as i am going to be using his technique. He recommends the Havoline Dex-Cool Extended Life coolant in his write up on the FJR site. I am assuming this is just fine for the bird as well but wanted to double check.

Thank you all as always.

Kinley

He recommends the Havoline Dex-Cool Extended Life coolant

I had that in both my bikes, the car and the truck. After reading so much bad stuff about it, I took it all out. The rad shop by me says that they have seen many problems with cars that have it in. I will never use it again.

I picked up some Prestone Dex Cool antifreeze (pink shit stuff that came out of bike was green) and now it appears that is bad to use. My Honda dealer is closed until Tuesday, so what can I use in place of the bad stuff? Need recommendation cause the bike is down now since I read this update while waiting for it to cool down. No coolant in bike. Help

Kinley

There are two "apparent" problems with the Dexcool. It doesn't mix well with the green stuff and requires a thorough flush. The two types of anit-freeze react and can produce solids that can clog the cooling system. Air pockets are another problem with the stuff. The Dexcool doesn't handle air in the cooling system very well. There are a lot of complaints from GM owners about the Dexcool eating away at intake maifold gaskets allowing contamination of the oil and of the coolant. It also seems that the general consensus is to only run Dexcool in engines (ie. GM) that came from the factory with it. Chrysler recommends that it NOT be used in thier products.

:shock: fucking great.. I got 1300 miles with this shit in there now.. did a nice little trip today..

Going on a trip next weekend to West Virginia for a a couple days. Looks like I will be flushing again :x

+1. I've been running it also. Time to move back to the Honda coolant.

I just installed Engine Ice like X1rider has run in his for...???..awhile. In traffic he and I have ridden side by side looking at each comparing temps. His, with enigine ice, would run 2 or 3 degrees cooler than my stock Honda stuff did. Now with engine ice in mine, it too runs a few degrees cooler.

The warchild blow job method was great. My neighbor did a double take when he saw me performing one of them. t took 4 or 5 refills, cool-downs and blowjobs before the distilled water ran clear upon draining.

I've got the Dex-cool in both my cars and my XX.

Been in my XX for 5 years and 47K miles no problems. I have changed it out once though.

The key to the Dex-cool is NOT to leave it in there as long as they reccomend. I change it out in 3 years or less.

There is a new coolant out though that I will be going to next. It's compatible with the old green stuff and Dex-cool and better than both.

New Prestone® All Makes All Models Extended Life Antifreeze/Coolant

http://www.prestone.com/

I was near you today Griff.

Got alittle lost, and when I found myself I was at Rt 33 and I-64 in New Kent :lol:

Been almost 5 yrs since I been in West Point. Man has that place changed :!:

Man, you must have really been slummin! We really do need to get together for a ride one day, if you'll let an old, slow guy ride with you for a while.

Pete - I am glad you've had good luck with it. I'm kind of stuck now if I want to leave the stuff in or not. It's only been a little over a month and about 1K miles.

Well I ended up getting the New Prestone® All Makes All Models Extended Life Antifreeze/Coolant at Autozone alone with Water Wetter. Put in the 50/50 mix of the freeze and water along with 4oz of water wetter. Seems like the bike runs in the half way range on the temp gauge (97 bird). Still a little leery tho cause the mix looks a little clearer than what I drained out of the bike. I guess i will just keep an eye on it and see what happens.

Kinley

I thought that Water Wetter says to use less than a 50/50 mix with their products? I'm wondering what to use myself, as I have got to get some Water Wetter in my bike. It's 91 today with like 95% humidity, and the bike is getting hot. It's only hit out of the "range" once when the radiator fan fuse blew, but with the heat today, it was high enough to make me concerned. Of course, I was sitting in bumper to bumper for 10 minutes, so I was sweating like a Hebrew slave in all my gear, but I'll survive.

Personally, I wouldn't put Dex-Cool in my lawn mower!

I've pulled apart more cooling systems that have been ruined by Dex or another long life coolant. In a perfect world, under perfect conditions Dex would be great. But, as soon as you get the mixture off just slightly, introduce air into the equation, or still have some remaining "green" coolant in there for it to mix with, forget it. You're just asking for it.

What was wrong with the ethelene glycol based coolant anyway? No one ever complained about it now, did they.

I.M.O. - Stick with the green/ethelene glycol.

Kev

OK, got it. I learn slow, but I do learn.

So what's a good coolant, I don't give a damn what color, that doesn't have any silicate inhibitors? Other than Honda which is a PIA to get to during working hours.

I flushed with just off the shelf regular coolant. Make sure it's aluminum compatible (most are anyway) and go for a reputable name. Prestone, Delco etc. I added Water Wetter and noticed very little difference. Think I'll try Engine Ice nexxt time.

Kev