CBR1100XX.org Forum

Sylvania Cool Blue bulbs....

birdie_xx

I thought it was a good bulb.... :roll:

Well, my high beam only lasted a little over 3 months and about 9K..... :sad:

I bought the replacement yesterday and then I remembered, that the Sylvania H4 on my ST1100 lasted only couple of months as well..... :banghead:

I wonder when I will have to change them again.

My stock "yellowish" bulbs are still good !

Has anyone been using the Vision Plus for a while ?

http://www.ambulbs.com/products/description.php/II=22

What's the life expectancy from the HID's ????

Cheers,

I've had the "cool blue's" for over a year and a half now. Put about 6 thousand miles on them. I like em better than the stock lights because they put out a whiter light. They are by no means blue to me. When I change lights again, I'll probably go with a higher wattage light on the high beam and the 55 watt on the low.

I just noticed the other dasy that Sylvania has an Ultra white bulb out that's supposed to be alot brighter than stock, they even compare it to a HID light.

I think it was like $25.

Just a thought.

I just noticed the other dasy that Sylvania has an Ultra white bulb out that's supposed to be alot brighter than stock, they even compare it to a HID light.

You are probably referring to the SilverStar bulb, and yes, it is a very, VERY good bulb. In fact, I am about to install one in the FJR. This bulb is getting some outstanding comments from the Endurance Riding community.

Though it's not up to HID standards, obviously. There is no halogen that is going to compare with true HID. Still, the SilverStar is outstanding, at least an order of magnitude better than the stock 55-watt Stanley H7's.

The Philips Vision Plus is also top shelf. An excellent bulb, every bit as good as the SilverStar. Some even like it better.

Has anyone been using the Vision Plus for a while ?

http://www.ambulbs.com/products/description.php/II=22

About 2 years ago, I installed Vision Plus in my high and low beams. An outstanding improvement in illumination, and I think I would vote it as the single best mod you can do under $35 or so to improve your evening riding. The low-beam burnt out after a little over a year, and I then installed another Phillips bulb that is not in the Vision Plus line (actually couldn't find VP here in Tokyo, not even through Phillips).

The change was very noticeable as they cast a nice cool white light, not the wimpy yellowish of the stock Stanley bulbs. I would be happy to re-install the Vision Plus.

I've had the Silverstars on for about 5 weeks now. Been driving the bike daily and just put on 1200kms in the last 3 days. Bounced over hard roads and the like. No problems for me so far, working great. Very crisp and clean light. I'm impressed. In 6 years when my highbeam blows, I'll replace that with this bulb as well.

To bad I've heard negative about the Silver Star.... :roll: Otherwise I'd have tried them. They were $4 more per bulb.......

I'm going to see how long the New bulb will last and then will try the Vission Plus. :cool:

Thanks all ,

Interesting... I use the SilverStars in all my bikes and my Ranger. and haven't had a single problem with them (knocks on wood). I even bought and installed a set for the Ex's car after she drove off the road with my daughter in the car with her. I ALWAYS apply liberal amounts of dielectric grease to the headlight plugs when I install new bulbs. My Duc was notorious for burning out headlights on a regular basis until I started using the dielectric grease.

I have been using Vision Plus bulbs on both my bikes (2 yrs on the Bird and a little over a year on my TL) and have not had any failures. I did use some dielectric grease in the sockets when I installed them. The blackbird reflectors throw a great light pattern, and really benefit from upgraded bulbs. The bulbs (H-4's) didn't help quite as much on the Suzuki as the lights do not throw as good a pattern. They are brighter, but not that much better.

I'll bet the HID system on a bird works great.

• 2 weeks later...

Found a draw back of my Silverstars. I come up behind a minivan and pass him. He flashes and holds the high for a sec, so I drop behind him and turn ON my highs... then I turn them off and pass him, so he starts flashing his highs, so I drop back behind him and stay behind him with my full light system on... (can't really be that bright). He goes nuts, slows down, speeds up, you name it, ever time he does I stay behind him. Finally I figure he got the point and I turn them off and pass, he fires on his highs again. So I slam on the brakes (other lane) and drop behind and just sit with the beams on. He goes as far as cutting another car off to get me from behind him. He pulls over to the side, so I do to. Apparenly he didn't want to chat cuz he takes off again.

Man, I was so hoping he was going to stop, but nope. He can't take the signal that I didn't actually have high beams on to heart, he has to be a prick.

Remember i made a post a whils back about the Siler stars or what ever they are and the lady there talked me out of them. SHE told ME not to buy them because if you put a lot of miles on your bike they'll last around 6 months.