CBR1100XX.org Forum

Noisy air filter

mack82097

Hello all,

This is my first post on this forum. I recently moved from a Suzuki Bandit to a CBR1100XX. First thing I did was install a Factory Pro Stage 1 jet kit and K&N air filter. I can swear now that there's more intake noise coming from the airbox because of the K&N. Is this normal, or maybe I didn't install it properly? Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Colin

Were you on the Bandit list at Topica?

Welcome to the XX board!

BTW- NICE upgrade... Nothing wrong with the Bandit, though. I just like the XX much better! :grin:

Thanks for the replies. I have a feeling that this board is going to be a great resource as I tinker with the 'Bird. I'm glad that the K&N is the source of the noise. On my Bandit I replaced the airbox with individual pod filters. Talk about noisy.

bar10dah, I was on the Maximum-Suzuki board. What's "Topica"

bar10dah, I was on the Maximum-Suzuki board.  What's "Topica"

I guess that's just the server they're using. It's bandits@topica.com .

Usally - When an air filter makes more noise than usal - it's because it's allowing more air to pass through it.

This subject (is the K&N better than the stock filter) has been debated many times on this forum.

The general consences is that the K&N & stock Honda filter pass the same amount of air; that would mean that the air box is louder for another reason; possibly has one of the air inlet tubes become disloged from the air box housing?

I would take a closer look at the airbox and inspect the seal around the filter, just to be sure........

Good Luck!

XX Rated,

I'll pull the tank and take a look. One question though...if an air inlets has become dislodged or if the air filter skirt is not fully seated, wouldn't there be other symptoms such as a hanging idle or other whacky throttle response due to the extra lean condition?

Thanks,

Colin