CBR1100XX.org Forum

Diagnosing a broken PAIR valve

v00d00child

A month or two ago, I noticed a clicking noise coming from the upper LH side of my engine. All RPM's, no noticeable performance hit, mileage is fine, not drinking oil. Someone on sport-touring.net posted a problem about a similar noise on a vtev vfr, and said a bearing had shelled, and the cam was bashing the journal. Total engine rebuild in order. I know they're totally different valvetrains, but me, being a fatalist, had to have some gloom.

Enter PAIR valve discussion: just turned her over to 34K last week (she's a 97). Read the posts on PAIR valves, which as far as I can tell, do nothing but give tree-huggers warm fuzzies. If I managed to snap a PAIR valve, would it cause symptoms (noise, mainly) that I have???

TIA

Voodoo,

I've removed my pair valves. If you want, they're yours for the cost of shipping ($3). They're used, and dirty, but they're not broken. Have you verified that your's are broken?

If you want to defeat the pair system, I can help you out there as well.

Let me know.

J.

It's a possibility, but a loose valve is more likely, by the way you're describing the sound.

Have the valve clearances ever been checked?

Since, assuming normal wear, valve clearances should only decrease, isn't a loose valve an indicator that something's awry??? (here's goes the doom & gloom tendencies again...)

I'll probably run her into a shop in Sept to get her serviced.

Since, assuming normal wear, valve clearances should only decrease, isn't a loose valve an indicator that something's awry??? (here's goes the doom & gloom tendencies again...)

I'll probably run her into a shop in Sept to get her serviced.

Yes, but you may be causing further damage by not checking them... :???:

I'd pull the tank & airbox and start looking. The valve cover is a bit of a bitch to remove, but since your bike is carb'd, you should be able to run the engine without the tank to further diagnose.