CBR1100XX.org Forum

Reg/Rec replacement

ledcat

At 27,000 miles my 98cbr1100xx reg/rec blew a hole in it, right by the sh638-12 numbering. Smoke was billowing out from my bike pretty good, and I thought that guys car was smelling pretty bad. I wanted to say thanks to Mithrandir and Pete in Pa for all their input. I removed the crimps from the plastic connector and found 2 yellow leads that will need to be stripped back, they looked somewhat cooked. I'm gonna go with the 99-00 r1 rectifier (4jh-81960-01-00), $ 56.61 from ron ayers. The cbr part (31600-my7-305) is selling for $156.67 at ron ayers. I'm going without a plastic connector, just lugs and use the pictures from Mithrandir for the positive-negative hook-up. Any last suggestions, recommendations?

Boy that's pretty extreme, blowing a hole in it. :shock: Usually there's no exterior indication on the RR that it's bad.

You already read what I did so I still reccomend the Yamaha plug so IF the R1 reg. sheites itself, you can just plug another Yamaha one in.

Also check the 3 yellows where they come out at the stator (left side of engine) there is a connector that can get hot with resistence and toast the wires and connector.

If just lightly tan, take apart and crimp the female ends tighter and spray with contact cleaner and reassemble.

Holy smokes............ You got some photos of it?

-Suf Daddy

At 27' date='000 miles my 98cbr1100xx reg/rec blew a hole in it, right by the sh638-12 numbering. Smoke was billowing out from my bike pretty good, and I thought that guys car was smelling pretty bad. quote']

I took pictures of the rect/reg, but I have not aquired the knowledge yet to post pictures. This may be the case where the story is better than the picture though. The hole was small, about 1/8" in dia. with some evidence of liquid running out of the hole, like it was cryng.

Send 'em to me and I'll post them for you.

- SuffolkD@aol.com

I took pictures of the rect/reg, but I have not aquired the knowledge yet to post pictures. This may be the case where the story is better than the picture though. The hole was small, about 1/8" in dia. with some evidence of liquid running out of the hole, like it was cryng.