CBR1100XX.org Forum

Fork Seal Replacement

XX

Hey folks,

In reviewing the manual, gotta couple questions:

1) in overhauling, changing fork oil, or replacing fork seals, how many of you have, upon inspection - had to change your slider bushing (part #10)

2) And have you had to use the 'special tools' listed in the manual (see below)

front_fork.bmp

thanks mucho

f788d7db.jpg

Second two pics aren't working for me, but the only special tool I recall needing was a fork seal driver. An impact wrench may come in handy if the damping rod decides to turn with the bolt on the bottom of the shock, that can be a real PITA with regular hand tools only.

My slider bushings were fine, but the bike only had 1100 miles on it at the time.

pics working now?

where can i get a fork seal driver? ron ayers takes a long long time when you order tools from them, i found this out when i ordered the headset adjuster tool! they musta had to get it from japan or sumthin :cry:

Captive slider bushing, Joe.
That pipe would work just fine, though.

um, huh? :oops:

To use a socket as Joe originally suggested, you'd need to set the seal and then install the downtube, this works on a lot of motorcycles, but not the XX.

The tube won't come out without removing the seal, and you can't set the seal without the tube in the way, as the slider bushing's OD is larger than the fork seal's ID.

A way around this is to find the proper size pipe, slide it over the tube and give it a few taps to set the fork seal. A 2" piece of PVC worked great on the 50mm forks on my KTM.

I'm not sure what size pipe you'd need for 43mm forks, or if the OD of the pipe would fit. Luckily, you won't need to worry about any of that :wink:

Sorry if that's not clear, I'm on perscription painkillers at the moment and not at my best....... :razz:

Sorry if that's not clear, I'm on perscription painkillers at the moment and not at my best

Recreationally, or did you shoot a nail through your foot at work today?

Wisdom teeth, two of them. One was impacted/abcessed, took some cutting to get it out. I'd kill to be able to eat a taco about now, mashed potatoes, yogurt and broth are already getting old.......

I suppose there is still a recreational aspect to, though :wink: