CBR1100XX.org Forum

Yet another tire question

bluebird

So whats the deal with Dunlop D220s cheapest tire on the market, is there a problem with these tires. At 180US its hard to beat. Are they made in the US, if so I won't have to pay duty on them. Tell me, Tell me :)

Are you sure about no duty?

Doesn't count if they're shipped to you, I think. Better check with Customs before you order them.

Heard nothing great about the 220's. They're the replacement for the 57's, IIRC. OK, from my understanding, but nothing great. Still much better than those old Macadam's your riding on, though.......... :wink:

I changed from Dunlop 207's to 220's hoping for a little more wear. I felt that they did not stick quite as well as the 207's and wore out just as fast.

Seems like all Dunlop front tires cup on the BlackBird.

I'm happy with the Pilot Road tires from Michelin. Lots of people on this board run Avon's, but I have never found any priced as low as the Pilot Roads.

Avon makes a "B" series tire just for big fast bikes like the 'bird, and they cost even more.

I run BT 020's and after 5500 kms I'm very happy; grippy, good in wet, heat up quickly, no cupping so far. I replace Mich, Pilot Sport but I won't put them on the Bird again. I'm about to tour two up, full givi bags, approx 3-3500 kms so I'll know much better when I return whether the 02's really measure up for my riding style. Next year it may be Avons. That's the beauty of the Bird, every summer, new tires and this is my 3rd set of rubber. PS, it's contraversial but I recommend not mixing tires and running 42 psi. front and rear. :)

Don't know about the 220's. I keep reading that people are having problems with the Dunlops cupping. What kind of pressures are people running that are having cupping probs? I'm running 208's at 42 psi and running 'em hard and no cupping. When I say hard I mean hard on the throttle in the straights and corners as well as hard threshhold breaking on a routine basis. If the back isn't screaming for traction off the corners I'm not on it hard enough.

If you visit the Brit site, there's a lot written re: mixing tires, tires, and tire pressure!! :) It seems to me that for touring there are several choices however for your style, Pilot Power??, I feel safe on the Bridgestone 020's, moreso than I did on the Pilot Sports, so I won't run them again. I haven't rode on Avons but read mostly positive responses so I may go Avon next summer. At this point I don't think I'll run Dunlops. Here's an interesting fact?, I read on a tire site, riding two-up extends rear tire life. I'm trying to slush out info on Continentals but the feed-back is not promising so I won't go that route. Honda recommends 42psi and I stick to that under all situations except during "advanced rider training or track". Remember you can change tires every year of sooner so experiment. The Bird comes with Bridgestones, not 020's and I'm a fan of both Michs & Bridgestones, and I think I'll enjoy Avons. Cheers, :)