CBR1100XX.org Forum

New cans = Power Commander?

Keith

OK, now that I have this nice set of Yoshimura RS-3 cans (ebay @ $300 :) ) for my 2003 'bird, do I need to do anything about the FI map, i.e. get a Power Commander, or will it be OK without? Is the 2003 'bird a close loop FI system? If it is, then it should be OK without modifying the FI map.

Any inputs?

Thanks.

It'll run fine with the slip-ons & no PC, but your rideability will definitely be improved with the PC, especially in the midrange, and part throttle.

Your slip-ons, without a PC, will have a lot of carbon in them. With the PC & a good map, they'll be a nice dark brown color.

Shouldn't hurt it to go without a power commander. I don't run one and have a full system. Is yours a California spec bird? If so then it has a oxygen sensor and might compensate at low speeds.

Is yours a California spec bird? If so then it has a oxygen sensor and might compensate at low speeds.

Yes, it's a California spec 'bird. I believe that if there's an oxygen sensor, the FI system should compensate, I just don't know if it has the sensor.

-Keith

It'll run fine with the slip-ons & no PC, but your rideability will definitely be improved with the PC, especially in the midrange, and part throttle.

Your slip-ons, without a PC, will have a lot of carbon in them. With the PC & a good map, they'll be a nice dark brown color.

Thanks, Northman. I'll go ahead and install them and see how it goes for now.

My '99 ran great with my Yosh cans but they got very sooty. I never had it checked but judging by the smell and the exhaust tips the bike was running very rich.

My '99 ran great with my Yosh cans but they got very sooty. I never had it checked but judging by the smell and the exhaust tips the bike was running very rich.

So I just took the first longish ride with the Yoshimura cans (about 200 miles) and I don't detect much soot, and the guys behind me did not mention any gas smells. I got a little better than average gas mileage for this route (about 43MPG), but I usually get around 42, so the difference is not statistically significant, but if anything, it might be running a little lean. The engine temperature was no different from normal. I think I'll just go with it the way it is (meaning: no Power Commander) for now and keep an eye on the mileage and soot/no soot in the pipes.

The RS-3s sure sound nice, though. :grin: They aren't too loud, which is fine with me, but they do have a deeper, thoatier sound than the stockers. Overall, I'm a happy camper, especially since the only cost $300 on ebay (brand new, still in the plastic wrap).

I get about 35mpg avg so I think I have something going on. Probably a wrist condition. :twisted:

The guys I ride with used to say my bike was pretty quiet but sounded like a Formula 1 car when I wound it out.

Well, I just installed my Yosh Zyclones last night... RC... You're spot on about how they sound! They have a nice growl, but are still nice and quiet around the neighborhood and at cruising speeds. Interestingly enough, the 'Bird seems more responsive between 4500 and <7000 rpms... My imagination?!?!?! I don't know, but I like it! Now I guess I get to play with PCII maps... K&N, PCII and Yosh slipons... Makes for a kewl ride!!!

Anyone wanna buy some new exhaust gaskets??? It figures that I assumed that I would need them for the Yosh and once I got the cans, I realized that they would not be neccessary. :sad: