CBR1100XX.org Forum

Keto and Sleepless?

Hi All,

First off, let me thank everyone (especially TJ) for their very informative posts in this section of the forum - I love this place! :razz:

OK, so after being anti Atkins since I learned what it was I finally decided to read about the low carb strategy here (my primary source for anything important). After learning a bit about it I decided to jump in the fire.

I started cutting carbs like mad on Monday and it has already made a very noticable difference in my level of energy. I CONSTANTLY felt drained prior to the switch, I was beginning to wonder what the hell was wrong with me! After every meal all I wanted to do was sleep and I was useless at work after lunch. I haven't had the sleepy spells since I cut the carbs.

OK, I know, IT'S ONLY BEEN THREE DAYS!!!, right? True, It's probably a bit early to declair victory over anything yet BUT it doesn't hurt to keep yourself fired up.

SO to my question for the experienced, did any of you have sleeping problems shortly after you made the switch? I've had difficulty getting to sleep the last few nights (I'm talking lying in bed for 4 hours waiting). That really blows. I have had battles with insomnia in the past, just trying to figure out if these recent spells are in any way related to the diet.

Well thanks again for the load of useful links and recommendations and I'll be sure to update everybody with my experiences.

Cheers,

Jon

UPDATE:

I've been fine the last few nights. Might have just taken my body a short while to adjust to an entirely different diet, or it might have just been yet another battle with insomnia. Who knows.

True story:

When I'm very strict low-carb/paleo I usually sleep for

4 hours, wake up for a while, then sleep another 4 hours each night.

A few years back I discovered some paleo research that showed

that hunter-gatherer humans had the same sleep patterns.

IE: You eat a healthy paleo-low carb human diet -- you start

behaving like a paleo-low carb human (and gain all of the health

benefits too.)

:cool: TJ :cool: