CBR1100XX.org Forum

WOW!! Never realized the power of 6mm's.

K-TOOL

I've got a stainless Winchester model 70 Heavy Varmint in .243 with a 6.5 to 20X scope.

Nice gun. The model 70, the riflemans rifle.

I've always liked Winchester guns.

My 6MM has a medium heavy weight barrel, stock is glass bedded, Timnney trigger. Shoots 1/2 M.O.A. all day long with the right loads, which I do myself :cool:

I usually have mine lowered for day to day stuff (usual stuff- drag racing, street racing, and general straight line stuff) and raise it back up for corner carving. I made the mistake one time and left it lowered when aggressively attacking some turns and drug my fairing about 6"up and got the pipe right before the can attaches to the midpipe. :shock:

Question for all you 6mm guys [no offense intended]:

-how much difference does that show up as at the rear axle?

-do you change the amount of sag you ride with- and if so, how much sag do you set with you on the bike?

Thanks for the info.

TimXX

-how much difference does that show up as at the rear axle?

About the same 3/4" I gave Rich for the increase in seat height. With a Sportec or Z6 mounted, my rear tire just touches the ground on the center stand.

do you change the amount of sag you ride with- and if so, how much sag do you set with you on the bike?

Sag should be set at 30mm-35mm, regardless of any shimming you may do. While sag certainly affects ride height, it shouldn't be used to ajust it, IMO.

Nik, I'll try and snap some photos this afternoon. It's raining down here, so I'm done with work for the day :grin:

3/4" MAY make it a bit tough on me.

Sag when I'm on the bike, ride height, etc, aren't quite as affected by preload as they might be for someone like Nik, due to the weight difference.

Tim, if you'd post pics, that would just totally rock.

Here's the nut you'll need to loosen/remove, depending on if you want to notch some washers or remove the mount and slide them over the bolt. 17mm, if memory serves- 31671675.jpg

That nut threads onto a bolt that is attached to the upper shock mount, pictured here as seen from the front, under the tank (camera will fit there, your head won't, you'll never see this angle when working on it, but the pic will help for reference)-31671763.jpg

If you're using slotted washers, simply loosen the nut, slide them between the shock mount and the frame, tighten the nut. Done. It'll help a lot to put a piece of 1x6 or whatever under you centerstand to give you a little room to work with.

If you plan to remove the mount, you'll need to remove the horizontal bolt in the second pic, it also serves as a mount for the coolant resevoir, so the shock mount won't come out with it in place. Once that bolt is removed, swing the top of the shock out of the way and remove the mount. Slide your washers over the bolt, then put it back together.

One more pic, different angle, just because I took it- 31671815.jpg

No you can't. It's partially the angle, and partially that I used smaller washers that I had laying around, rather than some larger diameter ones like I should have. You're probably looking in the right spot- between the black horizontal section of frame, and the top of the goldish looking mount.

Maybe I'll switch those out while I've got the tank up.

Oh, yeah- in case it wasn't obvious, you need to raise the rear of the tank to get to the bolt. Two 12mm bolts, cake.

Oh, yeah- in case it wasn't obvious, you need to raise the rear of the tank to get to the bolt. Two 12mm bolts, cake.

Actually, they're 8mm bolts, with 12mm heads. :poke:

My .243 will shoot to 1/2" also. I used to shoot the 55 grain Nosler BT at 4200 FPS. I reload also. This load used to group at 1 inch at 300 yds. :shock: Now sadly my rifleing is recedeing and I'm shooting the 65 grain Hornady V- Max still into the same 1/2" but not as fast or flat.

My .243 will shoot to 1/2" also. I used to shoot the 55 grain Nosler BT at 4200 FPS.

My 6mm likes Noslers 70grain BTHP Match bullet on top of a max load of IMR4350. One half inch or better at 100 yds with very little effort. It is definitely a crow killer at any sane distance :shock:

OK, I'm thinking of doing this mod but the chain/centerstand thing has me puzzled.

The 1 1/4" chain adjustment is so when the chain is at it's tightest (when the swingarm is straight inline with the sprockets) position there is a just a little slack.

Now we do the 6 mm mod and through the 1 to 3 linkage we have raised the bike 3/4".

Does this mean we ignore the 1 1/4" chain adjustment with the suspension fully extended or does it still apply since with the swingarm inlne with the sprockets nothing has changed.

Am I making sense or is it too early in the morning?

I left my chain adjusted at 1-1/4" freeplay after installing the Penske with 1/4" extension. No problems with the chain yet.

I did replace my center stand bumper though. The chain rubbed it prior to the bumper replacement.