Electrical quick disconnects

DirtTorpedo

Is there some trick to crimping these on to a wire? After a

typical electrical mod I always have one or two come off the

end of the wire within a few days. Am I just not squeezing

enough? What a pain in the ass these things are. And they always

wait to come loose AFTER you've put all the fairings and stuff

back over them. It's like they know.

Do you have the right size connector for the wire size? Are you using a wire crimpper or just pliers?

Might try stripping back the wire and then fold the end over and place the connector on the folded wire and recrimp.

Ken

I was an electrician for better than 25 years, in a steel mill no less. Butt connectors (the crimpable type that you are talking about), make an eXXcellent connection when done properly.

1. Always use the right size connector for whatever size wire that you are using. I have on occasion, stripped off enough insulation to be able to fold the end of the wire back over itself, thus effectively doubling the size of the wire and making it fit into a connector that was too big.

2. Always use the proper crimping tool. T&B makes one, Klein Tools, and others. Make sure that if you are using an insulated butt connector that you use the section of the crimper that is made for insulated stuff. Otherwise, you can damage the plastic insulation on the butt connector, then you have to tape it too.

3. Make sure that when you are done with the "crimp" that you pull on the connection before putting things back together. Also, if the connection is going to be exposed to water, moisture, etc., buy some Scotch Brand 33+ electrical tape and do a good tape job on the connection. You wont be able to submerge the splice, but it will be mostly water-resistant for your purposes.

4. Solder connections cannot be beat, but are a lot more time consuming that the butt connector method. You have to make the call, based on what you are using it for. Hope this helps.

PS. I started fantasizing about DBLXX while writing this post......probably because I kept mentioning "Butt Connections".... :shock:

Thanks for the tips. Apparently, my problems weren't completely

from my own bogus connections.

I had hooked up a headlight modulater, and the symtoms were

that the headlight would periodically go out - and stay out - then come

back on several minutes later. (Much slower than the 8 flashes per

second as advertised.) I completly pulled the modulater, and this

was still happening.

Then a VFR owner told me of a similar problem he once had with a bad

starter switch. Next time my light went out, I tapped the starter, and

it came right back on. So I guess I'll be replacing that.

While searching the forum for related topics, I see you can also

use the starter as a flash-to-pass. Cool, never knew that. And I've

had a CBR for 9 years.

Another side note - any opinions on headlight modulaters?

Ted

Speaking of butt connectors, Warchild tried some "Posi-Lock" connectors when he installed a LED light to his FJR. I am going to start using them.

http://www.fjrtech.com/getdbitem.cfm?item=42

http://www.posi-products.com/posilock.html

I usually solder connections, but that is time consuming.

An alternative I like to use to electrical tape is liquid electrical tape.

Just a couple of coats, it dries quickly, and you have a watertight seal. Much better seal, and longer lasting than regular tape, and it looks better, too! :)

headlight modulator opinion: i facking LOVE it. i have a kisan that i got for $25 instead of the $100 they normally are. but, knowing what i know now, i would have paid the full $100 for it. i pop over a hill, i see brakelights and people moving to the right lane cuz they think i'm an emergency vehicle. i come up fast behind someone, they practically dive for the right lane. it seems to do a very good job to alert cagers to my presence and knocks them out of their air-conditioned bubble and back into the real world.

two very enthusiastic thumbs up from the peeps.

FYI. NEVER stretch electrical tape. Pull it tight, but do not stretch it. Stretching it will cause the tape to try and pull itself loose, especially when it gets hot. It will try to unwind off of whatever you have it wrapped around. The last wrap or two should be just pressed to the previous layers.

An alternative I like to use to electrical tape is liquid electrical tape.

That stuff WORKS!!! Nuff said.

Just a friendly little hint. :cool: