CBR1100XX.org Forum

f. thats it. just f.

AXXKicker

last night, i parked my bike to go see anchorman with a friend and happened to glance at my front tire.

"hmmm, must be a stone in the tire. f. stones dont have philips heads on them."

wanting to ride around today and tomorrow, i went calling around to all of the bike dealerships for a new front tire.

my shopping list included popular brands from this forum: dunlop 202, 208, avon 45, avon 49sp, bt010, bt57, contiforces, contiroadattack, metzler sporttech m1, etc.

being saturday, i didnt have tons of options- but i toughed it out.

couldnt do it if the tire was on the bike, so i disassembled the front of the bike, left the fork tubes sitting on a full-sized spare car tire and went to the dealership that offered the best price for a tire that i'd heard good things about- dunlop 208.

the quoted price was around 100 plus 30 to mount it if i just brought in the tire. good. i can do that.

when i got there, the price had jumped to 175- plus 30 to mount.

wanting to ride this weekend, we split the difference and paid to mount it and rolled. f. there's 170 that i had earmarked for other crap.

got the front end buttoned up- and i need to get the torque specs from someone.

so now, i'm looking forward to taking it easy on my new tire and ride with impunity again.

f.

It's sorta expensive, but I've started keeping a spare set of tires on hand. When you're in an emergency situation, they've got you over a barrel and sorta know it. My local tire supplier won't screw ME (I send WAY too much business their way) but they don't carry Avons.

I try to keep 2 rears and a front around, just in case. Usually I'll keep a new front, a new rear, and a old rear as long as it was replaced for wear and wasn't down to the cords. That way if I get a flat, I can get the new spare mounted ($20 and a 6 pack of Miller, and my guy does it while I wait) and be back on the road in no time, while I wait for the road hazard warranty stuff to happen from Avon. In case I pick up a nail again, I still have the old spare just in case. And yes, I've had 2 nails in 2 weeks.

well, the front tire feels fine.

i dont notice a significant difference between the tire that i had on there (stock) and this one.

i suppose that means that the tires are similar in profile and composition- or it could mean that i just dont notice the difference.

:grin:.

of course, i'd like to think that it's because of the similarity.