CBR1100XX.org Forum

Uneven pad wear?

x-lax

I just got done replacing the pads in my XX. Of the four front pads, only the left outside pad was REALLY worn. Also, it wasn't worn evenly across like the others. Instead, it was worn at an angle, and on the low end it had begun to dig into the bracket holding the pads themselves(thus the noise that caused me to do this). The rotor has no visable damage but I'm wondering...

a. Why would the wear happen this way?

b. Could there be damage on the rotor(or anywhere else) if it isn't visible?

Thanks.

I would guess that it's a design flaw with the secondary master cylinder on the bird's forks. Mine were the same way, well, not wore as bad. A lot of people have commented on this and I don't think there's anything anyone can do about it unless you change the whole front braking system

Yep, mine wore the same way. At 12K, the left outer pad was worn to the backing plate at one edge, with half left at the other.

I replaced them with the EBC's, and they're wearing much better. I'm now at 25K, with pads still less than half worn, and perfectly even. :)

Thanks. I just installed Ferodos, though, so I'll see how they wear. Does anyone have any idea why what pad you use would affect the wear pattern?

The pad wear you describe seems to be very common. Several people have reported the same thing. My outside left front pad was down to the metal at 12K miles too. I'm running Galfer Blacks now and they seem to be wearing better. I'm at 21K miles now.