CBR1100XX.org Forum

Whistling noise left side of motor

KingGroover

I've been getting this high pitch whistling noise coming from the left side of the motor. Seems to be coming from the carbs area, it's loudest when you put your ear near the clutch slave cylinder. Happens when the engine's warm, around the temp when the fan kicks in. Starts off intermittently but within a minute increases in frequency until it's near continuous. Only seems to occur at idle speeds. Engaging/disengaging the clutch doesn't make it go away. Idling with power on the rear wheel doesn't make it go away. Bike still idles and runs well, plenty of power from what I can see.

Any ideas? It's a CA bike so I'm guessing a hose or something? Maybe it's normal? I've only had the bike for a few months now.

Thanks!

I removed the left side panel and looked around for the source of the noise. It seems to be coming from down low, around the water pump. It's somewhere around the water pump, the spline where the gearshift lever runs into the gearbox, and some sensor. Any other ideas? Could it be a bearing in the water pump? :sad:

How many miles on the bike? Might be the water pump or the alternator. Put a voltmeter on her and make sure the charging system is working properly. If I remember correctly, someone here had their alternator stator start rubbing the windings and ruined the whole thing. :shock:

Tell the midget inside to stop whistling and get to work. :lol:

hehe :lol:

Here are the voltages at battery terminals:

12.2V engine warmed up but sitting 5mins, ignition off

12.4V engine started, at idle

13.9V 5000rpm....<14.7V min spec

13.5V drop back to idle

13.2V ignition switched off

Current leakage, ignition off:

0.536mA....>0.2mA max spec

Argh, don't tell me I have a short...this might mess me up for the West Coast Bash :mad:

Current leakage, ignition off:

0.536mA....>0.2mA max spec

Don't worry about the 0.536mA, that is from the clock and my bike and another I have looked at come in at about that. If you pull the fuse that has the clock on it you will see that leakage go away.