CBR1100XX.org Forum

Raising Helibars

dante18

I raised my Helibars and the top clamp bolt is above the fork tube. If it's above the fork tube about 1/2", but the lower clamp bolt is secure on the fork tube, would that be strong enough?

I am going to try to post a pic, but I'm usually unlucky with this. If the pic doesn't show, here's the link...it's under Helibars http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/dante18_98/my_photos

cd04.jpg?phoa14ABdT.cO6lW

Heli-Bars aren't as strong in the clamp area as the stockers, at least that's how they look.

I'd be wary of raising them high enough that the bolt is above the fork tube, but it's your bike.

Check them regularly if you do, but I would suggest adding a sleeve like the Genmars have to keep the clamp portion from distorting.

I don't think you have the bars as high as mine.

I've got 5/8ths of an inch measured from the top of the fork cap nut to the top of the Heli bar.

Just do a few stoppies and if there is no movement it's tight and wont' go anywhere.

Pete,

So have you had any probs with the bars coming loose? How tight did you tighten the top clamp?

I was thinking of getting a sleeve like Northman said or extensions to fit over the fork tubes but not sure how hard that would be to make..

I'm assumeing the Helli's are still made the same. I've got 2 allen bolts and there is a "window" in each bar between the bolts on 1 side.

I've never used a tourqe wrench on the bolts just tightened by feel.

I've never had them move once tightened. I figure doing stoppies puts the most pressure on them possible.