CBR1100XX.org Forum

Torn Spark Plug Cap

Involute

I have a small tear in the boot on one of my plug caps. It is through the insulation and about .300" long. It is horizontal to the bend just past the elbow on the wire side. I wrapped it up with electricians tape for a quick fix. Do you guys think it is necessary to get a new cap or do you think wrapping it will suffice? I can get a new cap from Ron Ayers for $32 but I'm not sure if I should mess with it since I did not even know you could just replace the cap. I thought it was the whole wire and cap or nothing. do the caps come off the wires easily?

I have a small tear in the boot on one of my plug caps.  It is through the insulation and about .300" long.  It is horizontal to the bend just past the elbow on the wire side.  I wrapped it up with electricians tape for a quick fix.  Do you guys think it is necessary to get a new cap or do you think wrapping it will suffice?  I can get a new cap from Ron Ayers for $32 but I'm not sure if I should mess with it since I did not even know you could just replace the cap.  I thought it was the whole wire and cap or nothing.  do the caps come off the wires easily?

Never even looked at my plugs yet on my XX, but normally caps come off quite easy. They are just pushed into the wire. Plug has something simillar to a screw on it that you just twist into the center of the plug wire. Every bike I've ever worked on had this type, can't see the bird not having it.

you,ll need to replace it.i had the same thing happen on mine.a mech damaged it for me and didn,t tell me.when i washed the bike it would only run on three cyl till the water dried out of it.you will need an original honda cap and i paid $26 aussie dollars for it[local honda dealer gives me great discounts]another dealer quoted me $80 for it,pays to shop around as there seems to be a huge mark up on price.and yes they just screw off and on as usual

I'll replace it in a while. My main concern was that I'm heading out on a 2000 mile ride in July. If I can get to it before then great, if not I'll do it later. I rode to work today and the bike seems likes it running fine.

Thanks for the input fella's.