CBR1100XX.org Forum

which chain?

Steve

alright guys, it's time for a new chain, old one is strectched out.

Should what to get? I don't mind spending a couple extra bucks IF one is actually goin to last longer than another. DID 530 ZVM?

I will probably get this from PartsMonster as I like to support our Bird-Brothers... but teh website shows several choices.

Also, IF I get the DID ZVM, are there any tools needed to make this thing work? It states 120 links "cut to length"...

TIA

Steve

with original chain.. chain breaker or a angle grinder also works wonders :wink:

To put back on it will either have a master link clip, or will have solid side plates and you will need a compression tool that will push the plates together on the pins... its been a long day the exact name slips my mind right now..

more than likely you will have a master link with it. it will be cut to length and you will just have to break the old one, or do the quicker way with the angle grinder.

DID 530 ZVM. DONE! Except no substitutes.

The Motion Pro tool works great as long as you grind the pin before driving it out. If not you will break the pin.

Don't use a clip type masterlink, Don't ask how I know this.

Just did this myself yesterday.

Although I can't get the Masterlink "riveted" (pin flared to hold link permanently) I got it all photographed for the archives.

DID ZVM 50/530: Rivet Master linkcut down to 110 links.

Dremel Cut off wheel on old chain

Hack sawed new one (I'll learn)

MOST INTERESTING tip:

I had no chain breaker available, but I ground off the rivet head and was going to hammer/punch the pin out.

My brother had a craftsman (SEARS) nut breaker.

The sharp point was removable, so I could get the chain in it and use the point to press out the pin just like a real chain tool.

Like I said pressing on the master link is another story (C clamp) to roll the bike around. Have a shop flare out the pin to finish the deal.

WhiteBuffaloRacing.com

Grease the Master Link O rings....

-Suf Daddy

DID makes a tool that is specific for the rivet masterlink on their 530ZVM, among others. KM500 is the tool. While I haven't any experience with it (yet) over the Motion Pro, it is an option. I can't see it being a big difference, but I have heard good reviews.

They don't have them everywhere, tho. Kiernanracing.com has a listing, and the price is comparable to the MP tool.

Just FYI.

J.

Oops. My error. I was comparing the DID KM500 to Motion Pro's Jumbo chain tool.

You're right, the Motion Pro standard chain breaker/rivet tool is much cheaper. The small one is cheaper yet.

- J.