CBR1100XX.org Forum

What went wrong? Brakes.

Flying Scott

Okay I changed pads today on the Bird, no sweat installed the galfers all round .

But.....questions

1. What about the metal shim plates should they be reinstalled – I did

2. What about the rear set had metal plate and plastic spacer, I left out the plastic spacer.

Brakes worked fine except that the handlebar lever no long applies the rear brake, not even slighty

The pedal does activate front and rear.

I accomplished what some seem to really want to do but I liked the linked brakes and would like them to function as they were.

I'm hoping bleeding will resolve this although can't really explain how this would unless crud got squeezed back into PCV maybe its been buggered by reverse pressure- seems hoepfully unlikely

Thoughts on this would be greatly received.

Cheers

TC

Move the LF caliper up to apply the rear.

The rear won't be applied, unless the bike is moving forward when you apply the left hand brake.

Metal shims - re-use them if they fit.

Plastic shim? Got me there :???:

Brakes worked fine except that the handlebar lever no long applies the rear brake

The pedal does activate front and rear.

I made a similar assumption when I first bled the linked brakes, and Tim (Redbird) set me straight on this one. Look at the left front brake caliper, and you'll see that it has a master cylinder attatched to it. The way the front brake activates the rear is when the front brakes grab, it causes the caliper to move UP, pushing on the master cylindar.

In other words... just squeezing the lever doesn't make the rear wheel stop. Squeezing the lever and rotating the front tire does.