CBR1100XX.org Forum

Loose instrument panel?

x-lax

I've had my XX for 6 days now. Its a '99 with 19,000 careful miles on it. I'm not familiar enough with it to know if this is normal or not, but the instrument panel rattles around alot when I go over potholes, tracks, or other such annoyances. I'm assuming its rubber mounted, but it rattles to the point that I can hear it over the stock cans at 6,000 rpm with earphones in. Is this normal? If not, is it an easy fix?

The instrument pod is held on with three (or four, I can't exactly remember) bolts fitted with rubber gromets. It seems that over time the rubber gromets dry out and shrink leaving just enough room for the instrument pod to rattle on it's mounts.

My fix involved going to the hardware store and buying some rubber washers. I added them onto the bolts and "voila", the rattle was gone!

The biggest pain is taking all of the plastic off the front. If I were you, get some spare plastic "pop" connectors (you know those little made-in-hell devices Honda uses on everything) as you run the risk of breaking them when you remove and re-install the plastic.

You can get to the bolts and rubber washers if you take the windshield off. I installed rubber washers on my instrument clusters too. :cool:

I installed a steel washer with a hole large enough to fit over the shanked portion of the upper mount (8mm washer, IIRC). It's about 1/16" thick, and when you tighten down the nut, it still bottoms, but puts more pressure on the grommet.

Just one on the top mount tightened everything up.

Thanks for the help. I'll be doing it the next time it gets a thorough bathing. cheers