CBR1100XX.org Forum

more of a technique question

AXXKicker

i'm hesitant to ask this question, but here goes.

what is the general consensus (*now* i've done it) on clutchless upshifts.

does it harm anything? i've always fanned the clutch, at least to a small degree (must be the mx background), but have found that some slight upward pressure on the lever, followed by a brief reduction of power gives smoother upshifts than clutching does.

let the avalanche begin.... :grin:.

Having come from a shaft driven bike previously, I'm not always on top of my chain tension like I should be. With that said, if you do the clutchless upshift, you will know when the chain is loose... It won't shift anywhere near as smoothe as when the chain is tight.

I use the clutch when up-shifting to 2nd gear and then go clutchless from there on up. Been doing it for years on my ATV's as well and have never had any problems. I guess its like anything else - just takes some practice and then it becomes a normal routine. Naturally, there are instances when the clutch is needed, but that, too, becomes automatic in time.

Clutchless shifts work fine on the XX. Like the others here, I just use clutch going to 2nd and then mostly don't use it after that. It really depends on the conditions. If I'm cruising and constant low speed I'll tend to use the clutch, but on acceleration, I don't.