CBR1100XX.org Forum

WTB:GPS....used would be fine, Now a GPS discussion

Travlnman

Well did a poker run last weekend with a FJR1300 rider from ST.net and he had a inexpensive hand held GPS unit about the size of a small nokia phone and after taking a wrong turn we sorted it out right quick, I think he said he picked it up for under a $100 but he had some pricey map software in it he got for Christmas.

I've resisted getting one for so long cause I knew I'd want to get the bling-bling one(which means spending money I shouldn't be spending right now) and I ride to get away from from all the bells & whistles of so called civilization.

So here's what I'm looking for............

A)small/handheld/fit under the tank-bag map window(if possible) without the buttons getting pressed by the map window itself, or waterproof

B)easy to use

C)not to pricey, that includes a decent map program

One of the reasons I'd like to get one is I'm planning to get my IronButt cert. in on my way back from my brothers house in florida and I like the "how far/how fast" info it gives you.

Anybody have one they are looking to get rid of? PM or e-mail me.

Thanks

Check Ebay, there are many on there.

Also, check WalMart, they have some good priced ones. BUT if you don't get good software with the unit, the software itself is expensive.

Garmin eMap...Largest display of any of the handhelds (4 scale grey LCD), fits on the bike easily, and uses up to 128mb memory cartridiges for moving map stuff. You can find them on eBay for up to 70.00 used.......

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...5703438272&rd=1

And check out this site for mounts, accessories and stuff.......

http://www.gpscity.com

Good Luck!!!

Well so I can have my new toy for the SEXXT and beyond and since I farted around and didn't bid on any ebay auctions(too late after shipping now) it looks like I'll pick up a Garmin Etrex Legend up at Walmart for $132.92 after $30 rebate,

I guess Bling-Blingitis won't be as painful as I thought :wink:

It has 8mb internal memory but I would like to have the more detailed mapping software which includes back roads.

What is the best software? metroguide? I'm looking for something useful while traveling away from home.

And will I need to get more memory for this software?

Guest Jetpilot5
Yah I seen that but not knowing much about GPS I figured since it was purchased in 1997 it probably is a bit outdated? and hard to update?

I have no idea. I just looked at the price. I'm sure the newer models are more capable and probably more user friendly.

Garmins come with a "basemap", meaning federal, state, and most county routes. No local roads, pretty basic.

More detailed mapsets are available, but only from Garmin, and they ain't cheap.

What is the best software? metroguide? I'm looking for something useful while traveling away from home.

And will I need to get more memory for this software?

Missed that earlier. Metroguide is what I'd recommend. Every street in the U.S., and they even have restaurants and gas stations marked for you (though not all of them by any means, most likely just the ones that paid for the honor). Decent mapping program for your PC is included, which it damn well should be for the 80-100 bucks they get for it.

You can't get more memory for the eTrex Legend, it isn't expandable. :sad:

Metroguide is what I'd recommend

Ditto.....

I don't think that Garmin GPS's are compatable w/ anything else. You are going to need at LEAST a 64mb data card to get you from Mi to SEXXT (recommend 128mb). You will also need a USB programmer for any card over 32mb (the serial port transfer rate is too slow and the application/transfer will time out....trust me). Here are the GPSCITY links for what you need. Been using them for a few years (business AND personal) highly recommend them.....

http://www.gpscity.com/gps/brados/12177.3....751/mg64mb.html

http://www.gpscity.com/gps/brados/12177.3....51/mg128mb.html

http://www.gpscity.com/gps/brados/12177.3....usbgarprog.html

http://www.gpscity.com/gps/brados/12177.15...51/mgusav5.html

Craig, just to be clear, if you went with the eTrex legend, as you earlier said you were going to, those memory cards will not help you. The 8mb internal memory is all you get, non-expandable.

64mb for MI to TN is kinda high, regardless. I've got just about everything from Chicago to Johnson City, including a wide area around Johnson city itself loaded at 17.5mb. You can always save memory by only loading the areas where you'll be off the highway.

128mb will get you everything in four or five average states.

64mb for MI to TN is kinda high, regardless

Redbird is correct. I'm gauging this from my streetpilot III and forgot what a memory hog it is (voice prompts, address database etc..). A 32mb card should get you to and from with enough room for local maps. It looks like none of the new Garmin handheld units support the memory card. I did find this - refurbed eMap w/ a 1 yr. factory warranty:

http://www.gpscity.com/gps/brados/6762.14..../noemapdlx.html

Here's where me being computer/gps/software challenged shows up.

Craig, just to be clear, if you went with the eTrex legend, as you earlier said you were going to, those memory cards will not help you. The 8mb internal memory is all you get, non-expandable.

Heck I thought all's I'd have to do is go out and get a bigger card and I'd be able to put the whole USA in there :roll:

So what does the extra card give me?

Should I get the Etrex vista? that has 24mb internal memory

With the eTrex models, the extra card gets you gives you nothing, it's useless.

If you can swing it, yes, go with the eTrex Vista. That's what I have, and I believe the 24mb memory would be sufficient for just about any trip, with some creative map loading.

Or, look into that refurbished eMap 2equis posted up there. I'm pretty sure those use the memory cards. Not sure about features otherwise (hell, I'm not sure about the cards being used on that model....)

This is all assuming you don't want to drop to the money on one of the higher end units.

The eMap has the largest screen of any of the handheld GPS's (which is why I bought mine before buying a streetpilot III) and uses the garmin data cartridges ONLY (has very small built in memory w/ crude mapset - interstates, major highways and "dots" for towns). If you are looking for a budget GPS that is a little more flexible, capable of handling mapping software (full maps w/ ALL street and lots of detail), expandable (able to buy larger memory cartridges later on) and is easier to read while super slabbing - I'd choose the eMap.

-You would need the eMap

-A memory cartridge (still recommend 32mb - only $9 difference between 16mb and 32mb, should be enough for SEXXT/HOOT, NEXXT and MegaXX if planned correctly.

-Mapping software (I believe only the Metroguide software will work for any of the Gamin units) I have a copy I could send out if you get stuck.

-If you are using 32mb or less you DO NOT need a USB programmer - the serial cable that comes with the eMap will work fine.

-A GPS mount (unless you are using the map pocket of your tankbag) - check out gpscity.com, ram-mounts.com or saeng.com for ideas.

-If you plan on riding alot at night and using the backlight on you GPS I would also recommend hardwiring you GPS to 12v. Other wise put the GPS in "battery saver" mode and 2 AA batteries should get you through 2 days of daytime use. (the backlight chews up battery life).

Anyway - hope this helps and good luck!!!

Terry

Thanks for all the help on this one guy's I think I'll try and pick up a Emap off Ebay after I get back from SEXXT.

Once again the collective wisdom of this board has saved me some trial and error money.

My trusty paper maps will have to do one more time.

Note that the eMap is discontinued, and it's not waterproof. (Though, if it gets rained on, and you dry it out good, it'll be fine.)

Having said that, I have one on my dirt bike and like it. I have a StreetPilot III for the car/truck/street bike.

Craig,

I own an eTrex Vista with Garmin's latest Metroguide program. Had it since April '03 and works great overall. The side buttons design and five position "click stick" allows for easy access while riding with gloves on.

Actually, I have been considering selling it since I am planning to purchase a new model with a color screen and will no longer need the Vista or software (new unit prefers a different software program than I have). If you are interested in this, let me know.

Picture of it here.

http://www.cbr1100xx.org/forum/viewtopic.p...highlight=etrex