CBR1100XX.org Forum

Do I really need a power commander when I swich pipes?

mesenger1

Hey mesenger 1 I have a PC2 for a '99 that I bought on April 10. April 15 I crashed and totalled my Bird. If you are interested I'll sell the Power Commander for $150 plus shipping. It was used for less than 200 miles before I crashed my bike. That was a total of almost two rides (I crashed before the end of the second ride). It has all the stuff that came with it including the box. It was not damaged in the crash. Call me at 586-739-2382 if you are interested.

'

The injection system for the BlackBird is an "Open loop" system. It uses a fixed "map" to deliver the proper amount of fuel needed by the engine.

A "closed loop" injection system will have additional sensors in place to monitor the performance of the engine, (such as exhaust gas temp, and CO levels) and make changes to the basic map on the fly.

That means that your system will compensate for things like changes in air temperature and pressure but will not compensate for changes made to the engine itself. (such as big bore kits, changes to cam timing, or changes to the exhaust system)

This is where a PC comes in to place. The PC will allow you to "remap" your system to compensate for any changes to the basic air/fuel requirements of the engine.

For best results with a modified engine, I recomend the PC, (and the help of a qualified expert to remap the system properly)