CBR1100XX.org Forum

Rear Suspension Ratio ????

demon

Question for all you suspension Gurus

Will a Shorter/Longer dog bone in the rear suspension change the rear suspension ratio? I know the stock ratio is about 3:1 at the shock.

I've got a fully adjustable lowering link on my bird and can lower it for drag strip duty and raise it higher than stock height. I used to run the spacers on the shock to quicken up the steering, but the link I have got can raise it higher than stock. For corner carving I have raised it about the same height as when I had the 7 1/2 mm of spacers. I have not actually run this height with the link as I have just raised it back up yesterday for the upcoming SEXXT meet where we will do some heavy cornering.

Question 1:

Will the shorter link effect the ratio much? Or should I put the spacers back in and run the link at the stock length?

Question 2:

Can I add more spacers and run the link longer than stock for the same ride height and how will this effect the ratio as well?

Any help would be appreciated as I want the best handling I can get.

Thanks,

Donnie

The shock linkage is linear, and not progressive, but if you change the angle of the link significantly, you can alter the leverage of the system, in effect changing it's rate.

You can buy progressive linkage, but it's very expensive.

I doubt any minor changes you make to the rear ride height will have much effect on the operation of the rear suspension. Biggest changes you will feel will be from the change in rake/trail. Just don't go too drastic without some spirited test riding, or you may find you don't like it at the worst possible time. :???:

Thanks Rock & North. That's what I was wanting to hear. I used to have 7 1/2mm of shims on top of the shock and loved it. Handled more like my old GSXR. I've got the rear ride height set at about the same, if not slightly lower. I was just wandering if it would really effect the shock ratio and screw up my handling.

Thanks again

Donnie