CBR1100XX.org Forum

Can anyone explain the MAP and IAT sensor functions?

XX4me

OK, now that I'm more clear on your query, Forrest, I agree with you in placing the sensor where it will read changes in ambient temperatures, but not compensate for changes in charge temperatures.

The fuel rail is also way wrong for this application, as it doesn't sample the incoming air, only the air in the immediate are of the motor, itself.

How about installing it in the inlet tube to the turbo? It would be more accurate there.

I don't know how your intake tract is setup - filter on turbo inlet, filter remotely mounted under fairing, or ram air tube connected to air box for the turbo. Some people I know keep their ram air tubing and route the air near their intake plenum to keep things cooler at the rear of the motor. They run the filter on the inlet of the turbo and have no intake tubing between the filter and the turbo. The IAT sensor could be placed in these tubes to read ambient air temp, plus it wouldn't be that hard to move since it would still be close to the origional position above the rear of the engine. Put that pressurized air to use, it's there and it's not that hard to route it.

My set up has the filter directly on the compressor housing. So it was easier to put it in the tail, less work removing plastic ect.

Dave,

Generally my gauge doesn't move at all, but this last weekend I did a number (maybe 10) of back to back WOT runs resetting my A/F after moving the sensor and the gauge actually went to 120 degrees. :shock:

I rode at a steady state for about 2 miles and the temp went back to 100. :)

So your probably right in saying it would work in the plenum as my temp flucuations are probably minimal, maybe a max of 30 degrees, compared to someone without an intercooler. I guess I'm just skittish about runnning out of fuel.

My next gauge will be an intake air but those little buggers are $300 so it will be later this year.

Forrest, ok, I will go with your reasoning as u state the bike is running much better now. But to be absolutely shure I think u should still drop it off here for the rest of the summer :lol::lol:

I agree with Northman to a point only because Honda elected to put the sensor as close as possible to the intake runner, not the air inlet. Puting it by the filter would give a false reading to the ecu. Reasons:

1 Ambient air temp is not intake air temp at the motor.

2 The turbo gets the air hot, changing the density.

3 Your Aquamist system works great, it also changes density and air temp when working.

4 Your intercooler is very efficient, it lowers your temps down bigtime, much closer to ambient, which may cancell out point 1. Go figure.

Either way though, if your hard runs bring your temps up to 120 for a short period and the ambient temp was say 70 thats a 50 degree difference which is still a big number! Like if on a 70 deg day your ecu thinks its only 30 and goes into cold mode.

Get my drift?

Anyway, your bike is still running much better now and we are all awed by your build-up, so when are the demo rides????? :lol:

-Dave